Reference will not finish letter on time?

Hello!

So I have a situation. I gave this professor 2 months to complete my CASPA evaluation. She was ecstatic and very willing to do it for me. I put the due date at 7/1. I reminded her 1 month ago that the letter was due in 1 month and she sent back that she will have it done. I then emailed 2 weeks ago as a "2 week notice". And then I emailed last week as a "1 week notice". I also tried calling her office nearly everyday this past week. I haven't heard anything from either my emails or calls. The due date that I gave her is tomorrow. And it is a little late to get a new reference... I even called the biology department to remind her. I went to her office today and she has posted on her door that she will be sporadically in and out from 6/27 until August.

What am I supposed to do? To extend the due date, do I delete it off CASPA and remake it? Should I find a new reference? It is frustrating because I have applied to schools with rolling admissions.

Thank you!

Unfortunately, some LOR writers will ghost you and it happens. I would start thinking of another LOR writer ASAP. Is your application verified yet? Considering it's now practically July, many schools with rolling admissions have sent out interview invites and it's becoming late in the cycle for rolling admissions.

35 minutes ago, ilygurlie said:

Unfortunately, some LOR writers will ghost you and it happens. I would start thinking of another LOR writer ASAP. Is your application verified yet? Considering it's now practically July, many schools with rolling admissions have sent out interview invites and it's becoming late in the cycle for rolling admissions.

My application is verified! So discouraging.. i dont know how someone can just not follow through with their letter considering how important it is.

That stinks, it happened to me too this cycle. Luckily I had lined up a total of 5 letters of rec so even when one ghosted me I still had 4 others submit. I would HIGHLY recommend looking elsewhere and fast. Calling and reminding more obviously isn't making a difference at this point. 

In life, always have at least one plan B. Promises can fall through and other peoples' lives sometimes get in the way. Maybe the prof procrastinated and then a family member fell ill.

You never know.

This thing isn't broken; get another couple of LORs (to be safe) and go for it. You can chose from anyone you've ever met who knows you well enough to write a good letter.

Archived