CME monies

Nope. That transitions away from legit expense for training and, probably, would make that money taxable. Things have gotten tighter in recent years. Time was I spent my CME money on anything while I was at a conference including some expensive meals and nobody blinked. It was my money to spend. These days there is a lot more scrutiny about exactly what those funds are spent on.

When I worked for a terrible/corp. hospital, they let me spend $60 a day on food, doesn't matter when and where it was reimbursed. This was a few years ago, I do not see how there is more scrutiny as money is money. I spent $60/day at the grocery store on food to cook as we follow a strict diet. They can't say anything on what you eat/drink and how you spend YOUR CME money. 

When I worked for a terrible/corp. hospital, they let me spend $60 a day on food, doesn't matter when and where it was reimbursed. This was a few years ago, I do not see how there is more scrutiny as money is money. I spent $60/day at the grocery store on food to cook as we follow a strict diet. They can't say anything on what you eat/drink and how you spend YOUR CME money. 

It mostly has to do with taxes. If it is a benefit then it isn't taxable. So they have applied a "reasonable man" rule to food expenses in that $60/day should get you fed. While that isn't true for many locations it is just the standard they applied. Feeding your family is a different cat. That is no longer a benefit to you and related to your CME trip. You are, essentially, buying groceries for your family.

Trust me I long for the days of yor when you just turned everything in and they reimbursed you. I once turned in a $300+ receipt for 1 meal and my administrator didn't blink. It was mine to spend and when it was gone it was gone. You won't see that much anymore if at all particularly if you work for a big organization.

I have worked for a single, private physician and now work for a big GI group.  I submit everything and as long as I have receipts, I get reimbursed.  Now, I don't go overboard.  If my husband is with me, I will not submit the bills for food for him.  No one has said anything to me in 5 years. 

It mostly has to do with taxes. If it is a benefit then it isn't taxable. So they have applied a "reasonable man" rule to food expenses in that $60/day should get you fed. While that isn't true for many locations it is just the standard they applied. Feeding your family is a different cat. That is no longer a benefit to you and related to your CME trip. You are, essentially, buying groceries for your family.

Trust me I long for the days of yor when you just turned everything in and they reimbursed you. I once turned in a $300+ receipt for 1 meal and my administrator didn't blink. It was mine to spend and when it was gone it was gone. You won't see that much anymore if at all particularly if you work for a big organization.

I agree with buying food for your family. My comment about "we each a strict diet" was implying that "I" eat a strict diet so I buy food at the grocery store for me only. I think $60/day is good (for at least my area), but health food stores do get $$$. I would like to be able to turn in my receipt for a $300 of food and they reimburse it, as you said sad5814, when then money is gone it is gone.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have a set amount of CME money I can spend each year.  I tend not to request reimbursement for food and incidentals, preferring to spend the money on conference fees, airfare and lodging.  I could bill for food, but don't want to mess with per diem limits.  I also don't want to eat into my budget, and as a result, I am able to do two CME trips per year (e.g. this year, I did the AAPA conference in Las Vegas), and then will do an emergency med training in San Diego in the fall.  Spending the money on your family would stretch things further.  

Archived