Worried that GRE will keep me out of PA programs

Hi, all! 

I feel like I am a pretty strong(ish) candidate apart from my GRE score.

V - 154 Q - 147 A - 3.0

Yikes, I know.

I have applied for six programs in Florida and I am truly concerned my GRE will get me rejected. What are your thoughts?

Other than GRE my stats are:

cGPA: 3.69

sGPA: 3.82

PCE: Rad Tech - 2080 hrs  Lead Rad Tech in Ortho office/surgery - 3680

Volunteer: Medical Mission, Phlebotomy tutor

Shadowing: 36 hrs between PA, MD, ARNP

Do you think my stats will compensate for my ridiculous GRE?

Ridiculous GRE? You are fine! 

Most programs are looking for an aggregate score north of 300. You're at 311. Some will say they're looking for the 50th percentile in each section, but I can guarantee you that many schools are quick to forgive the 47th percentile if you're in the 80th percentile in another category. It's true that they usually like to see a 4.0 on the writing section, but I have never heard of that being a deal breaker. 

Also... I don't mean to be nosy... but you're sGPA is noticeably higher than your cGPA. That's usually the opposite of how things go. What's the situation?

Sorry, that Verbal was suppose to be 154, not 164. I edited it. 301 total.

I failed a class while dual enrolling in high school, and quite frankly did not commit to college, earning myself a handful of C's. Then I transferred after high school into my radiology program and can now count my classes that haven't been A's on one hand. Mind you, I only had an Associate's when I decided to go for PA, so it's been years of science, science, science.. 

I would advise you to make sure that the programs that you applied to did not specify that they required at least a 50th percentile for each subsection of the GRE. Some programs use these as cutoffs to lessen the number of applications they have to weed through. If that information is not readily available online, sending off a quick email won't hurt. Your AW and Q GRE scores would be red flags for some schools, but there are programs out there that would be more forgivable with them.

I think the rest of your stats are pretty competitive. I believe your personal statement, how you showcased your extra-curriculars in CASPA, and how creative your supplemental essays (if applicable) were written will determine if you will be granted an interview. I wish you the best!

I would advise you to make sure that the programs that you applied to did not specify that they required at least a 50th percentile for each subsection of the GRE. Some programs use these as cutoffs to lessen the number of applications they have to weed through. If that information is not readily available online, sending off a quick email won't hurt. Your AW and Q GRE scores would be red flags for some schools, but there are programs out there that would be more forgivable with them.

I think the rest of your stats are pretty competitive. I believe your personal statement, how you showcased your extra-curriculars in CASPA, and how creative your supplemental essays (if applicable) were written will determine if you will be granted an interview. I wish you the best!

Thank you for the info!

Fellow X-ray/CT tech here...I did not waste time preparing for the GRE at all, got a 300 cumulative and I graduate from PA school this week. It's really just a check the box thing showing you took it. Unless you do horrifically bad on it, nobody probably will notice or care what you got, only that you did it.

Archived