The usual isolated doctor drivel

Guest ral

I have a great rapport with a majority of physicians, both present and past. They understand the value of PAs and NPs augmenting their practice, and in medicine in general. Then, I read shitty responses to articles online, like this particular one from Dr. Daniel Di Lorio:

"Policy makers and public health guru's have dessimated a generation of physicians while foisting inferiorly trained "mid-level" providers who know only "cookie cutter" medicine on patients, and act surprised when outcomes are inferior, requiring more testing and referral to subspecialties who are incentivized to "do more" procedures, etc."

from the comments section at: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/881173?src=wnl_mdplsnews_170609_mscpedit_wir&uac=340SN&impID=1364957&faf=1

Tired of these scared little underachievers determining that my ability to do a significant degree of their job, somehow means that I am the inferior one. I could just as easily surmise that their choosing family medicine was due to the fact that they couldn't get accepted into a specialty residency, such as ortho or cards. These guys are so blind to what we can do, and the benefits of our contributions.

I have actually laid it out for some previously uninformed docs in the past. Conversation typically went something like this:

Me: How would you like to increase your yearly income by more than $50k? Get your wife a new Lexus every year. You don't have to see any more patients than you are currently treating daily. You could also take a few more week long vacations over the course of the year, keeping your office open and making money, while you are rolling dice in Vegas. Nothing illegal or even shady.

Doctor: Yeah right. How, genius?

Me: Hire me.

Doctor: Whaaaaaaaat?

Thankfully this stuff is isolated. I recently had surgery and the anesthesiologist came in to do all of her pre-op stuff  and she (unprompted and without knowing I was a PA student) mentioned how impressed she was with PAs and NPs and CRNAs (the hospital had only switched over to fully incorporating advanced practice clinicians about two years ago). In her words, "I'm far more nervous supervising residents. I'm always looking over their shoulders." I played dumb for a bit and she elaborated saying "mid-levels" are just "so so good at what they do". 

I run into docs like this every once in a while, and I always ask them where they got their outcomes data. If they have a shred of honesty, it always comes down to them admitting that it is just their opinion. There is no reason why I would hold their opinion in higher regard than my own.

His verbiage indicates a personal beef with the "midlevel" position (a term I despise). Typical burned out FP doc that's trying desperately to cling to the crumbling pillars of his omnipotence to justify to himself why he chose a career that has an approx. 40% satisfaction rating and a specialty that barely makes 180k. It's interesting that he commends the virtues of science and evidence based care while perpetuating the opposite. Maybe he should listen to the conclusions of his esteemed peers like:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3903046/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK384613/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1361027/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3903046/

Then again, what do I know....I want to be a lowly "midlevel provider".  

If you want to see the most miserable collection of physician aholes on the interwebs, visit:

www.authenticmedicine.com

It's like SDN's ugly graduate school.

"King of Medicine"... "Patient Centered Nonsense Needs to Go Away"... "Why do we need a gender balance in medicine???"... 

I couldn't get out of there fast enough. 

If you want to see the most miserable collection of physician aholes on the interwebs, visit:

www.authenticmedicine.com

It's like SDN's ugly graduate school.

Forest, VA?!? Literally where I grew up. No deep rivers run through there. I wonder what his patients think of his rantings on their obese children. Tempted to share with my broader social network sites. Oh, he's concierge care. Hahaha! In Forest, VA.

Forest, VA?!? Literally where I grew up. No deep rivers run through there. I wonder what his patients think of his rantings on their obese children. Tempted to share with my broader social network sites. Oh, he's concierge care. Hahaha! In Forest, VA.

I'm sure that the cosmos would thank you for anything you can do to make his miserable life a little worse.

Archived