Non-Clinical jobs for PAs

Hey guys,

Just curious, if one were to say, wanted to get out of clinical practice, what opportunities do we have besides academia?

I have been considering just doing part time clinical practice and maybe another job. Or maybe in a few short years, get out of clinical practice altogether.  I dunno, but any input would be appreciated. 

Thanks

I've been considering the same thing for quite a while.

I've looked into it, and spoken to some MD consultants/coaches about the transition. The long and the short of it is there are opportunities, but few are turn-key and there are much fewer opportunities compared physicians.

Consulting jobs require an MD or PhD. There are jobs where you do independent medical opinions and chart reviews, but again these seem to favor physicians.

Some other options are:

Pharm rep

Device rep

Medical writer (usually need a writing background)

Device coordinator/Provider liason; e.g. with Medtronic or similar

Disability evals through the VA or a VA contractor. This is quasi-clinical.

Research assistant/coordinator (expect $40-55k range)

PA program faculty

That's about all I've been above to come up with. So far I've not had any bites and I've applied to several research/writing jobs. Believe me if I were offered even a semi-decent paying non-clinical gig, I'd be out the door. Probably still practice a couple days a month to maintain my license.

Some of the EMR companies like T-system hire PA consultants to help design specialty specific emr templates.

there are research positions with the fda, cdc, dea, etc if you have an mph or doctorate with research background. there are admin positions for nursing homes, clinics, etc. helps to have an MBA.

Some of the EMR companies like T-system hire PA consultants to help design specialty specific emr templates.

there are research positions with the fda, cdc, dea, etc if you have an mph or doctorate with research background. there are admin positions for nursing homes, clinics, etc. helps to have an MBA.

I guess I should have gone for the MBA. The MHA I have has so far been useless.

Archived