Advice for an ex athlete!

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some feedback on what you guys think, here's the long and short of it. Thanks!

I recently finished playing professional baseball for 2.5 years after graduating from Wake Forest. I graduated with a Health and Exercise Science degree but with a GPA of 2.7. I realize the D-1 athlete excuse for poor academic performance is played out so I went back to school and finished with a 3.9 GPA (38 credits) in the pre-reqs most PA schools require (A&P, Chem, Bio, Orgo, etc.) . I also have 1000+ patient contact hours, 100+ shadowing and 200+ community volunteer hours as of now and am still gathering more. I have great LOR's from 2 professors and 1 very well respected PA.

I am realistic and am only applying to schools with 3.0 min GPA, look for improved grade trend, and low HCE requirements. I was wondering what you all have heard about career changing (older) applicants or those with unique situations and what advice you might have.

Brutal honesty preferred, thanks!

I was an older student (57 when I applied) and have seen other career changers. I think it actually can be an advantage. You should be able to write a great essay and maybe even have an unusual LOR. The admissions committee will likely at least want to meet you, which is a good bit of the battle.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you were a traditional undergrad, you're likely not actually an 'older' applicant.  A lot of us are career changers - and career changers after much longer than 2.5 year stints so you're in good company here and applying to PA school NOT out of undergrad and with some life experience.  So that right there certainly won't hurt you.

What you need to focus on, as you obviously know, is how your grades, GRE, HCE, etc compare to the other applicants.  It sounds like you've got the right idea and don't have delusions of grandeur or anything so apply smartly, make your app the best it can be, and that's all you can do.

I was an older student (57 when I applied) and have seen other career changers. I think it actually can be an advantage. You should be able to write a great essay and maybe even have an unusual LOR. The admissions committee will likely at least want to meet you, which is a good bit of the battle.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's what I was hoping for as well so thanks for the reinforcement! I'm worried most programs will get hung up on the poor academics while playing a sport in college.

If you were a traditional undergrad, you're likely not actually an 'older' applicant.  A lot of us are career changers - and career changers after much longer than 2.5 year stints so you're in good company here and applying to PA school NOT out of undergrad and with some life experience.  So that right there certainly won't hurt you.

What you need to focus on, as you obviously know, is how your grades, GRE, HCE, etc compare to the other applicants.  It sounds like you've got the right idea and don't have delusions of grandeur or anything so apply smartly, make your app the best it can be, and that's all you can do.

Agreed 100%, I know from a pure numbers standpoint my application is lacking but hoping the upward trend and life experience will catch an ADCOM's eyes. Gaining more HCE hours and taking more classes to boost the GPA as we speak. Thanks for the feedback!

Have you taken the GRE? Getting a good score on that would only help you.

I have not taken the GRE. For my first application cycle, my plan was to only apply to schools that don't require it as there are a bunch (11) near me here in the northeast. If I don't get in anywhere first time around, I would take it to open up more schools the second time around. What do you think of that?

I have not taken the GRE. For my first application cycle, my plan was to only apply to schools that don't require it as there are a bunch (11) near me here in the northeast. If I don't get in anywhere first time around, I would take it to open up more schools the second time around. What do you think of that?

I think that's a good plan. Although, I honestly think if you took it now and did extremely well on it then your odds of getting into a school this cycle increases.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Archived