Clinical Hours Advice!!!

Good morning,

I have been a CNA for about 5 months now working full time (40 hours a week). I have hands on volunteering, shadowing hours, and other volunteering experience. The thing is I do not like the facility I work for. They overwork and I do not think it is worth the risk of staying if my body is getting damaged do to the job. I just have concerns that if I leave, how would schools see that I go from being a CNA in one place and doing something else in less than s year? I don't want my application to get denied but considering how taxing the job is, I am between a rock and a hard place. Can anyone give me advice on this?!

Good morning,

I have been a CNA for about 5 months now working full time (40 hours a week). I have hands on volunteering, shadowing hours, and other volunteering experience. The thing is I do not like the facility I work for. They overwork and I do not think it is worth the risk of staying if my body is getting damaged do to the job. I just have concerns that if I leave, how would schools see that I go from being a CNA in one place and doing something else in less than s year? I don't want my application to get denied but considering how taxing the job is, I am between a rock and a hard place. Can anyone give me advice on this?!

Hate to break it to you, but CNA work is pretty taxing across the board. Sure, some places are worse than others but it's not an easy job on your body and you'll be overworked anywhere you go. It's the nature of the position. If you really hate your facility then I would recommend leaving, but the grass isn't always greener. Programs won't really care if you change facilities or floors or anything as long as you're accruing HCE. 

I left a nursing assistant job after 5 months for an MA job. It was not once brought up during my interviews.I felt overworked, bored, and unchallenged. 

I am working as hard or even harder on some days as an MA (50 patients in a day) but I feel challenged and I continue to learn a lot! The compensation is also good enough, been here for almost 2 years at that, and the scope is everything that I asked for.

Nothing is worse than regretting going into work the day before so my advice to you is to jump ship and find something you will enjoy. It's not just about accruing PCE. Quality > Quantity.

But also be prepared to burn some bridges if you decide to up and leave.

I left a senior living community as a CNA after only 2 months. I left because I got a hospital position. From my experience the hospital is MUCH less damaging to my body than the hospital. I have nurses and other NAs that help with the physical labor in caring for patients. There's also machines that we have that help take out the work from our bodies. It never hurt me in getting interviews or acceptances. I was never even asked about it during my interviews. If you feel like you're being overworked, leave ASAP....or when you get hired in a better facility (I would highly recommend you apply in hospitals)

Archived