Eastern Michigan University: 2017-2018 Application Cycle

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also just accepted my invitation.  Very excited!  I'm curious as to when they will finalize interview dates.  I made the mistake of responding to the initial email with the specific date I wanted for an interview, failing to realize they wanted a ranking of dates.  D'oh!  I've since remedied that.  Did anyone get a confirmation email after they emailed their preference in?

Someone was asking about stats and date of submission.  Mine are as follows:

Overall GPA:  3.77

Pre-requisite GPA:  3.97

Last 60 credit hours GPA:  3.98

Overall science GPA:  3.92

Last 60 credit hours science GPA:  3.97

GRE:  162 Verbal, 156 Quantitative, 5.0 Writing

Patient Care Hours:  Approximately 5,000 as a physical therapy technician in an outpatient orthopedic PT clinic

Additional:  50 hours volunteer work over past year, member of AAPA, member of MAPA

Submitted my application near the end of August, around August 15th or thereabouts.  

On 9/20/2017 at 10:41 AM, itzsommyjr said:

Also just accepted my invitation.  Very excited!  I'm curious as to when they will finalize interview dates.  I made the mistake of responding to the initial email with the specific date I wanted for an interview, failing to realize they wanted a ranking of dates.  D'oh!  I've since remedied that.  Did anyone get a confirmation email after they emailed their preference in?

Someone was asking about stats and date of submission.  Mine are as follows:

Overall GPA:  3.77

Pre-requisite GPA:  3.97

Last 60 credit hours GPA:  3.98

Overall science GPA:  3.92

Last 60 credit hours science GPA:  3.97

GRE:  162 Verbal, 156 Quantitative, 5.0 Writing

Patient Care Hours:  Approximately 5,000 as a physical therapy technician in an outpatient orthopedic PT clinic

Additional:  50 hours volunteer work over past year, member of AAPA, member of MAPA

Submitted my application near the end of August, around August 15th or thereabouts.  

kelzie did, but that may be because she's from out of state and only had a few dates that would work for her. I got an email back yesterday saying that they would get back to me next week with a finalized date. I'm assuming they want to wait until the September 26th deadline for everyone to have a chance to either accept or decline their offer for interview and take into account everyone's preferences. 

Also confirmed for 10/16 this morning, so stoked. 

I was genuinely surprised but totally gratified to receive an invitation from Eastern Michigan. Lack of documented volunteer hours and formal shadowing experience are no doubt weak points. I've also been out of healthcare for close to 3 years now; as well, I tanked the GRE and don't feel it reflects my academic potential (a very close relative passed that week and I wasn't at all with it). This means there's hope for other candidates with weak GRE scores I hope! Regardless, I'm super excited to get down to brass tacks in a few short weeks, and look forward to meeting some of y'all! Best of luck, gang.

On 9/27/2017 at 1:40 PM, RDHtoPA said:

So happy for you all! I got my denial letter. The GRE was my weakest point :/ I'm hoping I'm able to get an interview at u of d or Wayne.. due to my husbands job we can't move :( so let's hope something happens this year.. if not I'll have to retake the GRE x.x 

Denial letter here as well. I suppose I should consider retaking the GRE even though I had a 310 combined and a 4.0. I guess competition is just getting stiffer.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:05 PM, kelzie said:

I just received an interview invitation as well. I'm hoping they respond with the specific date soon, since flights are already almost full and there's only two days I can possibly make it to!

Edit: they got back to me within an hour! I will be there 10/2 =)

Kelzie, how was the interview yesterday? Any tips for the rest of us who have interviews coming up?

• 3 weeks later...

Completed my interview last week. The waiting is killing me. EMU was my "second choice" but had I known what I saw in the interview they may have been my first. They have a really nice renovated facility with 24 hour access and a code\procedure simulation lab at the local hospital, which is regionally known for it's cardiovascular work. That same hospital also has residencies in both CT surgery and cardiac critical care. That is pretty nice having two really strong residency options right next to the school. They mention their approach to problem based learning on the website but seeing the facility really drives home how it works. They are also looking to get an anatomage table to supplement their cadaver anatomy dissections. 

I did my first master's at EMU and I would love to go back there. 

Archived