Phlebotomy or MA for PCE?

I have been trying for quite some time now to obtain a position to get some patient care experience hours, and I currently have two opportunities and do not know which to take. I just received an offer to work full time as a phlebotomist at a Level 1 trauma hospital in the Denver area, which would be an amazing opportunity for me as a phlebotomist (I worked as a phleb one summer in a very small hospital so this would be a big change.) I have also interviewed with a medical weight loss center looking for a Medical Assistant. Although I am not certified as a medical assistant they seem to be okay with training me should I get the job (I think I was the only applicant). The bad thing is they just started up a few months ago and are only getting about 5 patients a day maximum. I'm not sure which job to take? As far as PA school, MA would look better on an application, but as far as experience, working in a hospital I think would be much better for me to actually learn something, especially since I'd just be sitting around all day at the Medical weight loss clinic. The pay is better with the MA position though and hours are nicer. Any advice?

I would opt for being a MA (yes, I am being biased haha).

The scope of a MA includes phlebotomy. A phlebotomist is limited to only drawing blood.

There is no such thing as just "sitting" around as a MA. There is always something to do.

• Use free time to get to know the clinic ie; where supplies are located, what can be updated.
  • Organize supply closets, med closets, and waste closets.
  • Know where certain infograms are located (if none is available, create some, it will make your life easier). Especially when patient load increases.
  • I noticed one of my clinic's order of draw infogram was looking worn out so I used some time to recreate one and modify it a bit.
  • Look at what labs are drawn and which vacutainer is required. Best time to create a list if the clinic doesn't already have one, and color code per vacutainer requirement. Work smarter, not harder ;).
  • Use the time now to understand what is required to work with each provider (I work with 4 different MDs and they all require 4 different levels of attention and support).
  • Label things you think needs labeling (machines and equipment so when you are required to grab something you're not confused and stuck).
  • Ask the current staff what the current work flow is like, and what you can do to improve it. Cross train yourself to do both front desk and back office so when things get out of hand you can be of assistance.
  • Learn the different protocols in the office.
  • When you're comfortable with a new skill, ask to observe something new, and then when you're comfortable, do it. See one do one.

I've been at my current job for 1.5 years and I learn something new every week. I try to be one step ahead of the provider/providers I am working with on that shift to show I am taking the initiative to be a competent support staff.

Most importantly, enjoy your time as a new health care professional. 

I think you should go for the MA job. You really aren't sitting around all day as a medical assistant. I actually never get to sit down unless it's during lunch. Plus like diggy said you aren't confined to just drawing blood. You're involved in the intake of patients, assisting during exams and procedures, patient education... it's much more hands on

The MA position sounds like the better option both in terms of experience and life balance (better pay and hours). Even though the clinic is just starting and does not have a ton of patients daily, you will get to be part of their growth and learn a ton in the process. The range of what you can do as a medical assistant is greater. You have already worked as a phlebotomist and I highly doubt the position at the larger hospital will allow you to learn a significant amount more (I know the hospital is a level 1 trauma center, but you will still just be drawing blood/starting IVs)

I would say there are a few pros and cons to weigh out and I understand your difficult decision but think the advice above is very helpful. While the phlebotomist position at the trauma center sounds incredible, remember the amount of oversight at the level one trauma center may make it more difficult for you to get more experience trying new things or connecting with patients. As an MA at the new center, you will be trained on-sight and gain a great deal of experience likely doing many more things and not stuck to the job description you see when you are hired. Also, remember with this center you can make connections and excel a lot faster because they are new! You also ave experience as a phlebotomist too, which means with MA experience you are an experienced candidate. In the end, if you really love phlebotomy and this is the job that you think will make you happy at the end of the day don't forget to take this into consideration too. Both are excellent oppurtunities. Best of luck!

Archived