What The Heck Was I Looking At?

Had a patient yesterday with what again?  SNOT & COUGH!  While examing the patient I noted that the left TM had a silver color appearance to it, that it was bulging slightly outward, and that in the center was a perfectly round ring with what would have been best described as an internal color-matching smaller round circle that had the appearance of a tympanostomy tube but wasn't (pt. has never had tubes).  The best way to quickly describe it is that it looked like a silver fish eye, with the center round ring being the iris and the "tympanostomy tube" appearance as being the pupil.  I asked her about it and she said that it had not been brought up but when I looked at her previous visit for SNOT & COUGH I had noted the same appearance and had asked her to see ENT.  A.D. appeared normal.  Is this lady morphing into liquid metal like T3 or is there another explanation?

Is it a possible FB of some sort stuck to her TM?  I was looking in the ear of an 8-year-old and saw this strange brown circle, filling the whole canal, with a black circle in the middle of the brown one. It was in front of the TM. I was puzzled and thought "what the hell?"  Then a light bulb went off. I asked the kid, "Could there be a piece of a pencil in your ear?"  His mother looked at me like I was nuts. Then the kid said, "Maybe."  It was. The end of a pencil shoved back near his TM.

Good thought but the appearance is fully circumferential and is far enough into the EAC to support idea of it being the TM proper.  Sounds like the ring inside a ring appearance is consistent with what I'm seeing.  I just wish she'd get ENT to look at it, kind of like the respiratory distress pt. yesterday that was trying to save some bucks by coming to the clinic first, who between gasps for air said his insurance (same as mine) "wasn't the best in the world".  Guess folks expect a premium to cover ALL costs.

I had a  patient who came in with ear pain.  Left ear looked like there was a perforation with a dark, central black hole, and what looked like dried blood in front of it.  He had hearing loss and it just happened suddenly.

Sent to ENT because it was so funky looking.  Turns out it was a piece of his hearing aid  (I had no idea he had hearing aids, was a younger guy, 50 or so). 

Dang it, I missed the FB.  I love taking those things out of peoples ears.  

I had a  patient who came in with ear pain.  Left ear looked like there was a perforation with a dark, central black hole, and what looked like dried blood in front of it.  He had hearing loss and it just happened suddenly.

Sent to ENT because it was so funky looking.  Turns out it was a piece of his hearing aid  (I had no idea he had hearing aids, was a younger guy, 50 or so). 

Dang it, I missed the FB.  I love taking those things out of peoples ears.  

Bless you Paula for your kindness.  "...younger guy, 50 or so"

My sick bay  was blessed with a digital otoscope when I was doing diving med in the Navy that I could take pictures with and e-mail to ENT - we got some pretty funky perfs there, as well as really wacked out looking otitis externas from the lovely places the folks were diving in.  If it wasn't for the bulging TM, I'd have said an atypical view of the ossicles or a retained FB of some sort.  Could be weird reflection from the bulging cone of the TM.

SK

• 2 weeks later...

Not consistent with a cholesteatoma nor would it be involving the TM without displacement of the membrane over the time interval in which I had seen her.  The TM is as silver as mercury.  To be visualized through the TM it would have to be a very large neuroma and would be associated with other symptoms.  She's got it documented that she should see ENT so the ball is in her court.

Not consistent with a cholesteatoma nor would it be involving the TM without displacement of the membrane over the time interval in which I had seen her.  The TM is as silver as mercury.  To be visualized through the TM it would have to be a very large neuroma and would be associated with other symptoms.  She's got it documented that she should see ENT so the ball is in her court.

that type of reasoning is why many a diagnosis is missed. hence the term "atypical"

Archived