Help! Need advice on job searching

Some of you may have read/commented on my first post: http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/41130-is-this-a-bad-situation/ 

After considering the pros and cons I went ahead and terminated my contract effective immediately. I'm currently searching for a new job as a new graduate in primary care. At first I was strictly looking in the state I had relocated to and already had licensure in. I have had 2 dead end job interviews, submitted dozens of applications, and blasted my CV out to recruiters all over.  I recently expanded my search to the entire pacific northwest with no bites.  I'm lucky if I get a courtesy email after a couple weeks stating they are looking for 2-3 years of experience or the position was already filled. I knew the job market was tough for new graduates when I quit but I didn't realize it was this tough. 

I am in need of some advice now. What strategies have you been using to get your foot in the door for an interview? 

I'm a new grad and I had no trouble at all. I currently am working UC. Great pay, benefits and location is great (less than a 15 minute drive). I had a total of 5 offers before I graduated. There are plenty of employers here that are willing to work with new grads. Have you checked out indeed.com? You can post your CV there as well as send it out. You may get a slew of recruiters from jobs you don't want but it's just a suggestion. The place I am at wanted at least 1 year experience in EM or UC. Previously I worked EMS for 13 years and they were more than willing to count that. Just because you may not have experience as a PA built up, it doesn't mean you don't have any experience at all... what did you do prior to PA school?

Have someone look over your resume, applications and cover letters.  You might be missing something.  I didn't have any bites at first when I was looking for a job.  Someone looked over my resume and thought I looked average because I didn't emphasize the experiences that made me special.  I made the changes and then got a job pretty quickly.

Have someone look over your resume, applications and cover letters. You might be missing something. I didn't have any bites at first when I was looking for a job. Someone looked over my resume and thought I looked average because I didn't emphasize the experiences that made me special. I made the changes and then got a job pretty quickly.

Great suggestion! Get some more eyes on your resume and get feedback. Are you using a cover letter? Maybe you need to sell yourself better in the cover letter. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived