Input on UC that are free standing- YOUR experience

Hello everyone!

In looking thru the threads here, and trying to find info on several free standing ED/UC in the NC/SC area, I wonder what your take is on these? I was offered a job at one, and am considering, but if I am reading the threads correctly, it seems like a lot of people are getting paid a LOT more than I was offered, and that some "entities" seem more reputable than others.

Would anyone like to chime in on what they feel the good and the bad is on these? I asked average retention and attrition rates, and they say some PAs have been there as long as 10 years but attrition is about 20%.

I am interested in what others are saying, and since the AAPA huddle site won't let us talk about things such as this, I am here! Thanks in advance!

I worked at 2 such a facilities  for 15 years. some are run like urgent cares, some are run like free standing ERs. big difference. you need to figure out which scenario you are looking at before asking about pay, etc. If it's basically an ER it should pay like one. also , your skills need to be ER level if you are working solo at a place that is basically a poorly staffed ER. I have intubated, run codes, cardioverted, delivered babies, etc at "urgent care centers".

I see hourly rates as low as $52/hr up to about $70/hr for garden variety free standing Urgent Care.  Freestanding ER's pay from $70-$80.  This is in Texas.

A few tips....

-If a freestanding UC has blood work capability onsite?  It's not a basic UC.  The vast majority of real minor UC have only CLIA waved testing.  If a place has blood work onsite, a crash cart, US or even CT.....it's not UC.  That's a satellite ER.  Get paid accordingly, because in those places your liability goes WAY up.

yup, I used to work at one 24 hr UC that had full lab capability, CT, U/S, surgeons on call, code and trauma rooms, etc, etc

I made the case that we should be on the ER pay scale. the management disagreed. the chief of the "urgent care" (who was also chief of the affiliated ED) told admin that if any of the PAs left he would replace us with ED docs at 3x the salary. we all got raises and became the only PAs in the system working "uc" and being paid for ER.

Archived