Help with NHSC qualifiying Jobs in California

Hello out there

I need advice and expertise from the community!! I am a PA in Maryland who is looking to move to the Sacramento area around may-june and I have some questions about switching from inpatient cardiology medicine into family or internal medicine outpatient as well as help with ideas regarding NHSC jobs. I am on the NHSC website frequently and currently it is listing only 10 jobs for california- most outdated with starting dates in the beginning of 2011. I have been on indeed.com and advance practice but dont see much for office medicine or jobs that are NHSC qualified...

1) Has anyone on here had experience getting NHSC jobs without using the website? In other words, did you find an office job that might qualify and how did you go about applying?? How difficult is that process? is there any hospital jobs that qualify (i see no hospital listings)?? Or is there NHSC jobs out there that somehow you cant see on the website- I have been looking on it since Nov 2011 and it seems outdated there are very few new posts and few details?? I have also browsed the full list of NHSC sites but it seems overwhelming to blindly send resumes to all of them... Any other ideas about loan repayment (I have ~170,000 to pay off by myself sadly my husband is unemployed)... Currently I work for a not-for-profit hoping to do the government repayment 10yr program but i am afraid that by the time it comes for repayment that program wont exist anymore!

I am looking to stay in northern ca to be close to family as well as my parents are not in good health. I can work anywhere from Sacramento to as far south as San Jose. IF anyone knows of any available jobs or contacts or ideas for how to get me there- - i am just afraid the website is not showing much....THANKS

2) I work inpatient cardiology/hospitalist medicine for the last 2 years and have never done office work. Is there tips/books or other recommendations you have for how to transition? Looking for responses from people that have done something similar and have experience with what worked for you. I know it ll be a steep learning curve but any reference material or tips you have that i can start on now i would greatly appreciate!!

ps

Anyone got advice on moving cross country cheaply (have a 2 bedroom apartment 2 cats and dog and one SUV)... When i moved out here for PA school everything i owned fit in my car now im married and want to know how to keep costs reasonable... looking for what to expect and how many extra shifts to work to save for it! I ve heard pods, there is uhaul... i just want to know briefly what you moved (house apt in general) how and what it cost approx.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for reading this very long post any answers will be greatly appreciated!

CardioPA =)

Hello out there

I need advice and expertise from the community!! I am a PA in Maryland who is looking to move to the Sacramento area around may-june and I have some questions about switching from inpatient cardiology medicine into family or internal medicine outpatient as well as help with ideas regarding NHSC jobs. I am on the NHSC website frequently and currently it is listing only 10 jobs for california- most outdated with starting dates in the beginning of 2011. I have been on indeed.com and advance practice but dont see much for office medicine or jobs that are NHSC qualified...

1) Has anyone on here had experience getting NHSC jobs without using the website? In other words, did you find an office job that might qualify and how did you go about applying?? How difficult is that process? is there any hospital jobs that qualify (i see no hospital listings)?? Or is there NHSC jobs out there that somehow you cant see on the website- I have been looking on it since Nov 2011 and it seems outdated there are very few new posts and few details?? I have also browsed the full list of NHSC sites but it seems overwhelming to blindly send resumes to all of them... Any other ideas about loan repayment (I have ~170,000 to pay off by myself sadly my husband is unemployed)... Currently I work for a not-for-profit hoping to do the government repayment 10yr program but i am afraid that by the time it comes for repayment that program wont exist anymore!

I am looking to stay in northern ca to be close to family as well as my parents are not in good health. I can work anywhere from Sacramento to as far south as San Jose. IF anyone knows of any available jobs or contacts or ideas for how to get me there- - i am just afraid the website is not showing much....THANKS

2) I work inpatient cardiology/hospitalist medicine for the last 2 years and have never done office work. Is there tips/books or other recommendations you have for how to transition? Looking for responses from people that have done something similar and have experience with what worked for you. I know it ll be a steep learning curve but any reference material or tips you have that i can start on now i would greatly appreciate!!

ps

Anyone got advice on moving cross country cheaply (have a 2 bedroom apartment 2 cats and dog and one SUV)... When i moved out here for PA school everything i owned fit in my car now im married and want to know how to keep costs reasonable... looking for what to expect and how many extra shifts to work to save for it! I ve heard pods, there is uhaul... i just want to know briefly what you moved (house apt in general) how and what it cost approx.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for reading this very long post any answers will be greatly appreciated!

CardioPA =)

moving across the country as PA--we had to move as PA students!!!! ( Univ of Oklahoma) I have a PHd in Moving across the country--just get rid of every possible thing but not the cats!!!!!! I think we moved 7 times as PA. 2 children. Just remind yourself you ae n ot in the Artic Circle and you can replace all that is needed. keep the things for the children and remember they are going to go thru lots of stress--be as honest as you can with them--never tell them things i'll get you another one ( if there tings get lost or broken)

give some thought of working for he Indian Health Service--check their site for jobs--also try craigslist--get a few copies of the newspapers her and look hem over to get some idea whats going on. I too was unemployed for 2 years as PA--office pa is no problem just do it n othing special lot easier than hospitals

hth

peter lener pa

moving across the country as PA--we had to move as PA students!!!! ( Univ of Oklahoma) I have a PHd in Moving across the country--just get rid of every possible thing but not the cats!!!!!! I think we moved 7 times as PA. 2 children. Just remind yourself you ae n ot in the Artic Circle and you can replace all that is needed. keep the things for the children and remember they are going to go thru lots of stress--be as honest as you can with them--never tell them things i'll get you another one ( if there tings get lost or broken)

give some thought of working for he Indian Health Service--check their site for jobs--also try craigslist--get a few copies of the newspapers her and look hem over to get some idea whats going on. I too was unemployed for 2 years as PA--office pa is no problem just do it n othing special lot easier than hospitals

hth

peter lener pa

The National Rural Recruitment and Retention Network (3RNet) worked for me!

I was in North Carolina for school, and found the perfect NHSC Loan Repayment position in Northern California on this site:

https://www.3rnet.org/default.aspx

It looks like they currently have options in Central Valley, CA.

Just search under PA, or NP/PA, or even NP only and talk them into it!

Good luck! :=D:

The National Rural Recruitment and Retention Network (3RNet) worked for me!

I was in North Carolina for school, and found the perfect NHSC Loan Repayment position in Northern California on this site:

https://www.3rnet.org/default.aspx

It looks like they currently have options in Central Valley, CA.

Just search under PA, or NP/PA, or even NP only and talk them into it!

Good luck! :=D:

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE ADVICE please keep it coming!! I have been through the links above and did find a few more places to apply which is awesome...

On the moving side of my question i do have a living room furniture set to bring with me (i bought it last year for a really great price cant replace it for what i paid)... anyone got opinions about cross country move using pods vs uhaul vs u pack?? And who moved with pets (i have a dog and 2 cats??)

THANKS again

Lindsey

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE ADVICE please keep it coming!! I have been through the links above and did find a few more places to apply which is awesome...

On the moving side of my question i do have a living room furniture set to bring with me (i bought it last year for a really great price cant replace it for what i paid)... anyone got opinions about cross country move using pods vs uhaul vs u pack?? And who moved with pets (i have a dog and 2 cats??)

THANKS again

Lindsey

Archived