adcoms

Hi all -- new member, first time post. At the risk of creating a "what-are-my-chances" kind of post, I need some advice. I am 40 y.o. and worked in the medical field for about 14 years when I became a stay-at-home-mom, where I have been for about 5 years. I have about 300 hours of shadowing with a PA, all my pre-reqs for PA, and worked as an EMT for 9 years, so I think I have all of the requirements met. (except GRE, which I still need to take) However, all of that was done, as I said, well more than 5 years ago.

Some programs don't have expiration dates on classes, but I'm wondering about the rest of the requirements. Are there expiration dates on HCE or shadowing? How will my "time off" be perceived by the admissions committees?

Any thoughts?

Hi all -- new member, first time post. At the risk of creating a "what-are-my-chances" kind of post, I need some advice. I am 40 y.o. and worked in the medical field for about 14 years when I became a stay-at-home-mom, where I have been for about 5 years. I have about 300 hours of shadowing with a PA, all my pre-reqs for PA, and worked as an EMT for 9 years, so I think I have all of the requirements met. (except GRE, which I still need to take) However, all of that was done, as I said, well more than 5 years ago.

Some programs don't have expiration dates on classes, but I'm wondering about the rest of the requirements. Are there expiration dates on HCE or shadowing? How will my "time off" be perceived by the admissions committees?

Any thoughts?

Yes there are some schools who want their required amount of HCE to be done in the last 2 or 3 years. That doesn't mean that all your other years don't count for anything, but that they at least want their 1000 hours or so to be met within a certain time period. From what I have heard, this is to make demonstrate that you are still, in fact, interested in the industry. I know a woman who was a medic for 14 years but had quit years prior to become a cake decorator or something. The school told her that she would have to get a new health care job to meet the minimum requirement HCE, but if she did, her other 14 years would also count as HCE; they just wouldn't count until she had met the minimum hours within the required time period. Their reasoning was that if she quit to become a cake decorator, how does she know that she is ready to get back into the field if she doesn't try it back on again first. I don't know how common a requirement this is though, but it is something to look out for.

Yes there are some schools who want their required amount of HCE to be done in the last 2 or 3 years. That doesn't mean that all your other years don't count for anything, but that they at least want their 1000 hours or so to be met within a certain time period. From what I have heard, this is to make demonstrate that you are still, in fact, interested in the industry. I know a woman who was a medic for 14 years but had quit years prior to become a cake decorator or something. The school told her that she would have to get a new health care job to meet the minimum requirement HCE, but if she did, her other 14 years would also count as HCE; they just wouldn't count until she had met the minimum hours within the required time period. Their reasoning was that if she quit to become a cake decorator, how does she know that she is ready to get back into the field if she doesn't try it back on again first. I don't know how common a requirement this is though, but it is something to look out for.

I have a theory that virtually anyone who is personable can get in to PA school if they know how to play their strengths (within reason).

Look at me: I have a 3.19 GPA, Biology Degree, 21 years old, have scant HCE, etc. And I got in. I got in because I knew my strengths and I emphasized them in my application. I also knew my weaknesses and I addressed them in my application. (Low GPA was counterbalanced with advanced courses that were above the pre-reqs; my youth was advantageous because it gave me the opportunity to pursue ambitions in the field (and I didn't have a family/kids to worry about while in school, just me); I had only a bit of HCE, but I had quality experience being taught and I had a LOT of community service as a first-responder)

I would actually be scared of you if I was sitting in an interview group with you. I see you as someone with a lot of experience and the age to relate to most of your patients that come in. I see you as someone who could hit the ground running, where as a young'n like me may have to deal with patients that can't get past my age.

See what I mean? You have strengths and weaknesses, just tackle them well in your application. If you really want to be a PA, they will see that. Just know: If you get an interview, they want you. They already like you, and they want you. They're just looking for a reason to want you over someone else; they're not trying to reject you.

I was sitting next to a lot of 2nd and 3rd year applicants that got interviews every year and weren't getting accepted. They had the numbers, but they were missing something in that interview. Just go with the attitude that you know you would be a great PA and you'll be successful in the program. When they see that from you, you'll be fine.

I have a theory that virtually anyone who is personable can get in to PA school if they know how to play their strengths (within reason).

Look at me: I have a 3.19 GPA, Biology Degree, 21 years old, have scant HCE, etc. And I got in. I got in because I knew my strengths and I emphasized them in my application. I also knew my weaknesses and I addressed them in my application. (Low GPA was counterbalanced with advanced courses that were above the pre-reqs; my youth was advantageous because it gave me the opportunity to pursue ambitions in the field (and I didn't have a family/kids to worry about while in school, just me); I had only a bit of HCE, but I had quality experience being taught and I had a LOT of community service as a first-responder)

I would actually be scared of you if I was sitting in an interview group with you. I see you as someone with a lot of experience and the age to relate to most of your patients that come in. I see you as someone who could hit the ground running, where as a young'n like me may have to deal with patients that can't get past my age.

See what I mean? You have strengths and weaknesses, just tackle them well in your application. If you really want to be a PA, they will see that. Just know: If you get an interview, they want you. They already like you, and they want you. They're just looking for a reason to want you over someone else; they're not trying to reject you.

I was sitting next to a lot of 2nd and 3rd year applicants that got interviews every year and weren't getting accepted. They had the numbers, but they were missing something in that interview. Just go with the attitude that you know you would be a great PA and you'll be successful in the program. When they see that from you, you'll be fine.

^ I like that. I agree with most of it, especially the part about knowing your strengths and weaknesses. I believe a lot of people don't get into PA school because they're ignorant about the schools they apply to or themselves. They're looking for a seat (anywhere) instead of a good match.

Call the programs you like. Speak with whomever you can. They cannot possibly waive all your pre-reqs, but I've heard of some programs waiving a few here and there for applicants like yourself.

^ I like that. I agree with most of it, especially the part about knowing your strengths and weaknesses. I believe a lot of people don't get into PA school because they're ignorant about the schools they apply to or themselves. They're looking for a seat (anywhere) instead of a good match.

Call the programs you like. Speak with whomever you can. They cannot possibly waive all your pre-reqs, but I've heard of some programs waiving a few here and there for applicants like yourself.

Hi -- sorry for the delayed response. life and death has been going on, keeping me from this forum. :)

thank you for your responses. Theyus, you're highly motivational!! thanks!

I think I will start working on shining up my application and taking my GRE. I don't even know which programs I am interested in yet, so there's plenty of research I need to do there.

Hi -- sorry for the delayed response. life and death has been going on, keeping me from this forum. :)

thank you for your responses. Theyus, you're highly motivational!! thanks!

I think I will start working on shining up my application and taking my GRE. I don't even know which programs I am interested in yet, so there's plenty of research I need to do there.

Archived