Starting PA School with an infant and a toddler - advice from parents who've done it?

Hello all,

I was accepted into my first choice PA program, University of Utah, and will start in May.

The bad news? I am due with our second child in late March. If he goes full term, that gives me a measly 6 weeks with him before starting a most intense graduate program. And we also have a 19 month old at home who will be 23 months when I start.

I already asked if I could defer, and was told that they do not allow deferrals for any reason. So anyone suggesting that, please realize this was something I considered and asked about. It is, unfortunately, not an option.

Specifically - can anyone who has started their Didactic year with young kids comment on how they got through, give any suggestions or feedback, etc.?

Also - anyone try to pump during didactic year? I would really like to be able to give this little bean breastmilk for at least the first six months. I know it is going to be VERY challenging, so if replies could stay on the more positive side, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much for any helpful advice people can offer!

Lauren

UPAP Class 43

Lauren, Sorry to sound a bit catty here (addressed later) but I do certainly want to encourage you to nurse and pump for that precious baby's first year of life, or at least those first 6 months. I did so with both kids, working full time dietitian and part time personal trainer until each was 1 year of age. I never nursed in public but you might find humor in the following places I've pumped: behind a false wall separating 2 Sunday School classrooms, desk during lunch with dictating, around the corner during an Ironman Triathlon clinic, in the car prior to the start of a marathon, behind the curtain before speaking to an audience of 1000, and the more general areas every mom can relate to, any bathroom, desk at work, car, shower. The pumps they make these days make it so easy and so convenient, if you don't have a fridge nearby, the pump bag itself even comes with a cooler inside for milk storage. IMHO its not a matter of "can this really be done", of course it can, if you can get into PA school you can nurse and pump! You might learn to crack a joke if its a public bathroom and a younger gal comes in who has no idea what you're doing, stuff like that. The catty part of my response? Darn right you won't give up that PA school spot for having a new baby. I've been denied not once but twice but gol darnet I gonna get in next time and KNOCK THEIR SOCKS OFF! Go for it and share your wisdom and experience with another young mother one day!

• 2 weeks later...

i am due this february and have a 2 year old currently...i was hoping to read from current students that are in the same situation...i applied late this cycle and only got so far one interview for the first week of february (will see how it goes) if i get accepted i would be so excited but at the same time scared to death of handling an infant and a toddler...just hope my hubby will be able to help me...i am determined and hope to god to pump milk, since i did for 10 months with my first one

i am due this february and have a 2 year old currently...i was hoping to read from current students that are in the same situation...i applied late this cycle and only got so far one interview for the first week of february (will see how it goes) if i get accepted i would be so excited but at the same time scared to death of handling an infant and a toddler...just hope my hubby will be able to help me...i am determined and hope to god to pump milk, since i did for 10 months with my first one

I'm a mom of 3 and started PA school when my oldest was a year old. It was a struggle for me and I only had one kid and a really supportive husband. There is no way I would start PA school with an infant and I think it would be way too much for you. I find it hard to believe that the school wouldn't let you defer for a year. I would think that if they've accepted you that they now have a stake in your success so they should work with you and you should be up front about your reasons to ask for a deferral.

If it were me (and of course it isn't) I would ask to defer. It's one thing to go back to work after having a baby - I've done it twice now - but school is like 2 full time jobs and you're going to be up with an infant at night too? It's too much.

Just my $.02

I'm a mom of 3 and started PA school when my oldest was a year old. It was a struggle for me and I only had one kid and a really supportive husband. There is no way I would start PA school with an infant and I think it would be way too much for you. I find it hard to believe that the school wouldn't let you defer for a year. I would think that if they've accepted you that they now have a stake in your success so they should work with you and you should be up front about your reasons to ask for a deferral.

If it were me (and of course it isn't) I would ask to defer. It's one thing to go back to work after having a baby - I've done it twice now - but school is like 2 full time jobs and you're going to be up with an infant at night too? It's too much.

Just my $.02

Lauren,

I will be starting with you in May. And nervous for my own situation. I have 4 kids, 13-4. It doesn't get any easier or less busy. I am a very involved mom and volunteer at the school, etc. PA school was a hard decision because I did NOT want my family to suffer while I pursued my dream. However, my sweet husband helped me realize it is not just my dream but our whole family will benefit. Part of my bachelors is in Child and Family Studies and there is actually a study that shows girls of happily working mothers actually do better. They are more motivated and have higher goals. Boys a little worse-theoretically because they need more "care."

Anyway advice:

1. Invest in a great pump-I loved my Medela Pump in Style. Worth every penny. I started x-ray school when my oldest was 8 months old. The reason I loved the medela was because it was fast. You can hook up both boobs at once, and go! I actually still have mine, if you want to borrow.

2. Great childcare-there is nothing more heart wrenching than dropping your babies off to someone they don't absolutely LOVE. And you have to trust without any reservations. If you are coming from out of state, I may be able to get you some referrals.

Last thought-it is only 2 years. It is not 6+ like med school. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm a first year PA student. I'm a single parent with a teenager and IT'S HARD AS HELL. I couldn't imagine going through PA school with a toddler and an infant.

No way. --- Not saying it can't be done, but your grades will suffer for sure. PA school is insane and you HAVE to maintain a 3.0 in graduate school or you'll be dismissed from the program.

With that said, if you can prepare yourself mentally, physically, and spiritually (oh trust me, your faith will be tested) for the hardest thing you will ever do in your life - then do it with no regrets. Go full throttle.

Someone once told me that PA school is like a rental car. No matter how bumpy the ride is, no matter how many curbs you jump, no matter how many walls you hit or how banged up your car gets (wheels flying off) -- keep your eye on the road and just GET TO THE OTHER SIDE. So ElleKay....Strap your seatbelt on, put your helmet on, and be ready for the RIDE of your life. You can do ANYTHING that your mind is set on. So don't be wishy-washy. Make the decision to attend PA school and GO! Go hard. Go strong. And stay super organized :)

• 2 weeks later...

Rough numbers off the top off my head counts 33 kids scattered among the 25 students in our class. The youngest was born during our summer quarter, the oldest has graduated college themselves. Personally my twins are five and oldest is 8.

We too have to maintain 80% or higher in the class. We are all doing it despite illnesses, daycare issues, estranged spouses, hundreds, even thousands of miles of separation. I question what sort of impact I am inflicting on my kids but I focus on the positive aspect of having a successful job that I love and how that positivity reflects in the house. The ends justify the means in this case.

• 1 month later...

"The ends justify the means in this case." Well put! To the OP: as long as you keep that in mind, you will succeed. The people you should really be talking to at this point is your hubby and your immediate family. I, too, will be having a 6 wk old baby by the time my program starts, and having a plan of action set up by the family and the hubbs will give you the best peace of mind. God has something special in store for you; all it takes from your part is faith and determination. Good luck!

I am 1 semester away from my clinical phase and have 2 children (5 and 2.5), my friend also has a 5 and a 2.5 year old, we have another class mate with a 5 year old and she gave birth to a very adorable little boy 1.5 months into our didatic year. It is difficult, but with a strong support system, it is POSSIBLE! You just have to be determined and motivated and you will do great. I am sure you will have a fridge accessible and it depends on the breaks between your classes to pump. We have a 10 minute break every hour. Just plan ahead. PA school is not easy, but we have had single mothers or mothers with multiple kids in our classes over the years and even 3 for our incoming class so you will be fine as long as you have a plan!

First off, I would like to applaud all of you. This is my first post here by the way. PA school is

a great accomplishment regardless of anything and ask of you are juggling family well it seems. I think the

Original poster should just do her best, in the end I believe it will work out. This isn't at all too minimize

the difficulty of this scenario, but just to encourage you to do your best and seek balance. There are 2 significant ways

in which I cannot relate to this, but on the other hand 2 ways in which I can. I am a dad, not a mom and a hopeful PA student

not actually in a program yet. On the other hand, I do have four young boys 8,4,3 &1. I am currently completing my BA degree.

I know this is not even close to the demand of a PA program though. As far as time and energy restrictions I can relate though, as I

have MD and things are a little difficult for me at times. I just wanted to try to encourage you and applaud you, as week as everyone else. I have definitely had my share of times of doubt and frustration. It is nice to "meet" all of you

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, we have 8 moms and 1 dad in our class. I have a son and an incredibly supportive husband. Some considerations:

Get real organized...material comes hard and fast, better to stay as caught up as you can

Study skills...these may be different in PA school than they were in undergrad, and different depending on what unit you're in (for instance, flashcards making may be so time consuming that you can't even look thru them once they're made)

Early morning can be your friend...I spend dinner time/after school time with my family and wake up at 4am to study/review things

Help your family understand now!...it's hard to give your husband all the ins and outs when you're not even sure what you're in for, but....tell him that PA school is pretty all consuming..we will have to make serious time sacrifices and do some trial and error changes till you (student) get into a groove with your coursework. (some people get divorces in PA school, this is important)...and I know this post is about being mommy, but please make special time for you and your husband...your marriage lasts longer than PA School (ok dead horse).

Realize you will likely not get the same grades or the same amount of study time as your classmates...just accept this, you have a lot going on. You also will not be able to join every club, volunteer event, etc...and this is ok!

Pumping should be fine...many programs will give you a break on the hour, but 10 mins wouldn't be enough time (if I remember correctly,lol). Come as empty as you can in the morning, pump on breaks if you can, and lunch of course.

Our schedule was 8am-5pm daily, if you have family in the area....get a good person who's able to take baby to the doctor or if sick and you can't get away right away....be thinking about your doctor appts too (maybe talking with your program about personal time off, best times to make appointments etc)

Take care of as much as you can before you start....get all of the house organized/running smoothly as you can, because you will be unavailable for a lot of household things.

some moms stay at school to study distraction free.

I am so rooting for you, and knowing that not all people are the same...I don't study 5hrs a day, I pay attention in lecture and read as much as I can as I navigate this balancing act and I'm doing great. Similarly, my classmate with 6 kids is doing fine too....your class will likely gel and help each other out. Hopefully the spirit of your program and classmates is one of comraderie, it's like going thru a war together. If not, hook up with the other moms, do study groups, take turns having playdates.....MANY have gone before you, it is doable

Best,

Michele

I say Go For It. I had my first 2 kids while in PA school. My husband worked nights and we made it work. I nursed and pumped almost my entire PA school experience. I think having kids puts your life and school in perspective. It is hard, but doable. I chose not to take any time off, so just went back to school or rotations after their births. I liked graduating with my class and was so glad I didn't take a break. You can do it. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. But, don't defer. You will love it

• 3 weeks later...

Archived