Artificial intelligence replacing the PA??

I could care less about the UTI conversation. I am focused on your smug self, your attitude, and total lack of respect. You made this about yourself by being so obnoxious, and self-righteous. 

What will you do when your collaborating physician tells you to prescribe certain medication to patients (still sound of course) that you may not agree with based on what you read on UpToDate? 

What will you tell your preceptor when they want you to perform a certain task (sound of course) their way and don't like the way you do it?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18 minutes ago, katieo said:

Oh I see. This is about trying to get internet strangers to show you some gotdam respek. Good luck with that. Sorry statin my opinion and facts triggered you. Didn’t realize this was a safe space. Hope your day gets better.

I don't need or want any respect. But I make sure damn well that when I come on to a board with experienced professionals that I show them respect. 

By the way, since you assumed that someone else was a man solely based on their comment, I will assume that your about 20-24 and that your parents pampered you and told you that you were the greatest thing ever. You're obviously going to say I am wrong and that you are 31 and have been working in the healthcare field for 10 years, but I'm gonna make my assumptions. 

My advice to you is to either get out of medicine and go be a social justice warrior, or become a physician and then you can call the shots and make the decisions. But I hope you seriously consider giving up your seat because I can clearly tell that you wont be able to handle being told what to do. 

Your attitude is why everyone is “worked up”. You are basically telling clinicians with decades of experience that their experience means nothing and that you would be comfortable treating a UTI over telemedicine because you read on uptodate that it was okay to do so, when you have never even laid hands on a single patient as their medical provider. I don’t think its worth arguing with you because clearly nothing we have said is resonating, and thats okay. When you get burned on your first “UTI” that turns out to be something else (like we all have in the past), then maybe you will understand the reuctance of experienced clinicians to just treat anyone who calls and says they have dysuria. Then again, maybe not. Good luck to you. 

15 hours ago, katieo said:

Oh I see. This is about trying to get internet strangers to show you some gotdam respek. Good luck with that. Sorry statin my opinion and facts triggered you. Didn’t realize this was a safe space. Hope your day gets better.

Yes, you need to be put back in your place. It is find to have a discussion, but to tell us we are "wrong" or UpToDate says XYZ doesn't mean you are correct nor we are wrong. I hope you go to medical school as I agree that you will not be a good DEPENDENT provider. You realize if you are having these struggles on this forum then you will have much more when physicians, PAs/NPs make you feel like a kid when you open your mouth and spew it everywhere. Even if you have 40 years of experience, you still SHOW and GIVE respect to everyone. I do not care who you are, YOU (katieo) are no better than anyone else. We are here to take care of patients the best way possible and that is what you are getting yourself into. NOT a pissing contest on who knows more or is more uptodate on medical knowledge. I hope you calm your attitude down prior to starting PA school (and CONGRATS for getting it!) or you are in for a long road. Good luck! 

I can appreciate everyone's point they are trying to make and understand the poster came off gruff based on the implication that men cannot understand the discomfort of a UTI. However, lets also not go overboard with this "do what the physician tells me" talk. I've never been a dependent provider until I was a resident, and that's because I'm back in the learner/student type role that I chose to be in and it would be foolish for me to ask for instruction then ignore it.

If in the navy medicine position my "collaborating physician" (there really is no such thing in the navy and this situation would never come up) told me a reasonable alternative to my plan, I would ask why that was better. If they gave me a good reason to choose their plan over mine, then awesome learning point. If I asked them their opinion, I may also choose it because, well, I asked. If they are just looking over my shoulder, then I'll just continue to do it my equally viable way unless they want to assume management of the patient. I have even gone so far as to change (gasp) the management of my patient that was started by one of the physicians because I felt it that the literature supported it and it was a patient on my panel. I do not alter the management of patients on other's panel as a professional courtesy that was also extended to me almost always. I am a autonomous clinician that happens to have a regulation preventing having an active license separate from theirs, but I have sole responsibility for the care that I provide so I will provide it in the manner that is most importantly in the best interest of the patient and secondarily in my personal style. I did not have a hard time in PA school, the navy, and not so far as a resident.

I don't say this to ruffle any feathers, attack anyone's opinions, or to condone any behavior. Just stating my opinion and how I practice.

Now that I've really derailed the topic, please return to the conversation of welcoming out AI robot overlords.

rcsmpup.jpg

I think we’ll be seeing more articles like this in the future. We are going any where and this telemedicine thing maybe isn’t fully formed yet.

Telemedicine Physical Examination Utilizing a Consumer Device Demonstrates Poor Concordance with In-Person Physical Examination in Emergency Department Patients with Sore Throat: A Prospective Blinded Study.

Akhtar M, Van Heukelom PG, Ahmed A, Tranter RD, White E, Shekem N, Walz D, Fairfield C, Vakkalanka JP, Mohr NM.

Telemed J E Health. 2018 Feb 22. doi: 10.1089/tmj.2017.0240. [Epub ahead of print]

PMID: 29470127 [PubMed - as suppli

Archived