ok, I will start to whet some appetites:

vs:

RR 50 very deep TV

bp 126/82

Pulse 112

temp 98.2

sao2 96% RA

meds: Prozac, wellbutrin, doxepin

chart review shows multiple suicide attempts by multiple means, generally traumatic

wdwn fe/caox4/mod rep distress

OD of ?? substance causing acidosis and she's trying to blow off CO2 to increase pH?  Your description made me think Kussmaul's but you said it was something you'd never seen. 

Obviously with her hx a tox screen, salicylate level. Also CBC, CMP, UA, EKG, CXR.  ABG? 

How did it start?  Other symptoms?  Physical exam?

you are on the right track. pt claims abrupt onset awoke her from sleep. no sx other than sob and tachypnea. no pain. no n/v/d.

tox screen neg including neg salicylates (what is on a tox screen...hmmmm)

cbc nl

cmp notable for bicarb of 7(!!!!!) and nl blood sugar. renal fxn nl

ua nl

ekg ST, otherwise nl

cxr nl

venous gas ph 7.0

other labs?

nice case.  i had a similar case while i was on micu, but it did not end so nicely for the patient.  if i remember correctly, ethylene glycol is the one that precipitates calcium crystals (among other badnesses) and sent this guy into acute renal failure that he did not bounce back from and is now dialysis dependent.  we weathered the storm as much as could... needed to get all of the fomepizole from 3 surrounding hospitals to be enough to temporize the situation while he remained on dialysis for nearly 24 hours to try to get all of the toxins out.  

another pearl i remember learning from the toxicologist from the case: one of the metabolites of the ethylene glycol is structurally similar to lactate, causing the more nonspecific lactate tests to be falsely elevated.  was there any discrepancy between the lactate you maybe got on the venous blood gas vs specific serum test for it?  

PA student here - I saw one case of antifreeze ingestion when I was a medical scribe. There was nothing in his initial H&P to suggest suicidal ideation/toxic ingestion. The diagnosis was confirmed by obtaining (in addition to the labs already mentioned) a serum osmolality level and a urinalysis to detect the presence of calcium oxalate crystals. The ED doctor called the lab and asked the technician to specifically look for these in the urine, and when she confirmed they were there, he knew he had his diagnosis. Definitely one of the coolest cases I've seen! 

• 2 weeks later...

After metabolizing the poison (later in the course after ingestion), serum osmolarity will be minimally elevated or normal but an anion gap remains. If history is suggestive, normal osmolar gap does not rule out toxic ingestion.

"After the bulk of the methanol has been metabolized, little or no increase in serum osmolality will be present, whereas the serum anion gap can be strikingly increased and the serum HCO3− markedly depressed"

http://m.cjasn.asnjournals.org/content/3/1/208.full

Archived