PA programs with no application Fee

CASPA does some fee assistance but you have to apply for that pretty early.  Programs themselves will occasionally waive supplemental fees if you attended undergrad there or are military or something.

Basically plan on throwing down a significant amount of money on applications (both CASPA and supplemental) and for interviews (last minute flights aren't cheap.  If you won't be able to afford it, don't apply to programs where it may happen). 

I think most of us here would estimate several thousand spent between apps and interviews.  It's the nature of the game.

It is a shame, I agree.  Most professional programs require money to apply.  And its not just the application and the travel to interviews, but also the fat deposit they will require you to make in order to hole your spot (mine was $500).  I guess it makes sense to charge - because of the reason described above, and also to make it such that each applicant has some "skin in the game" so the school avoids receiving 10,000 applications for 40 spots.

I wish it were sliding scale!

Guest GoyaHoya69

If you qualify for the caspa fee assistance program, it lets you apply to one school for free. Additionally, i'd say the vast majority of schools will waive their supplemental application fee (NOT their caspa fee) if you received the caspa fee assistance. I applied to 18 schools. About 10 of them required a supplemental app fee. I had like 8 of them waived, with the 2 exceptions being GWU (not a shocker) and stony brook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you really want it, it won't stop you! I completely understand though, I worked around 70 hours a week for 2 years, switching between nights and day shifts while taking post grad courses so I can afford to apply/attend interviews. As with anything these days, it costs money to make money, but you can do it!!

Guest GoyaHoya69

I received the fee assistance through CASPA last year and this year. Last year and this year I received $175. I applied to 11 schools.

@GoyaHoya69- interestingly enough none of my schools waived my supplemental fee! Maybe I should have asked?

Yes, you HAVE to ask. It saved me like $400 total, if I remember correctly.

If you are that tight on finances that a few hundred dollars makes a huge difference, make sure you have a great plan in place for financing PA school. Many students who do not do well in PA school have problems due to financial stress and trying to work.

PA school loans coupled with undergrad loans can also extends out to monthly payments over $2000 if you are not careful...

If you are that tight on finances that a few hundred dollars makes a huge difference, make sure you have a great plan in place for financing PA school. Many students who do not do well in PA school have problems due to financial stress and trying to work.

PA school loans coupled with undergrad loans can also extends out to monthly payments over $2000 if you are not careful...

It's a truly awful cycle.  Most programs have a minimum GPA you must maintain - it's enough just to worry about making grades and learning what you need to but as soon as you start thinking about what happens if you fail out and don't have a 6 figure career ahead to pay back $100k+ loans is terrifying.  It adds significant pressure to a process that is already stressful enough.

Archived