Charting under physicians name..?

Hello,

I am seeking advice regarding charting. I have charted under my own name for years. However, my new supervising physician expects me to chart under her name. I'm not sure how to address this.

Is this a liability issue? Does anyone else chart under their supervising MDs name? (On EMR of course).

Thanks for your help.

STOP DOING IT IMMEDIATELY. You are contributing to fraud.

Go to HR or billing or whomever in a suit and tell them you have concerns - FIRST - ask them to clarify billing procedures and show you data - THEN tell them you do not believe this is kosher.

They are billing to get the extra 10-15% for an MD/DO service.

If the employer is not responsive - go to the state insurance board or the state medical board.

You do not need this on your record or to jeopardize your license.

Protect yourself.

Very, very bad. It's financial fraud, first of all, but there's also something very immoral about you basically signing her name on a legal document that she didn't create. I don't mean to scold you but you could basically get screwed for this because YOU are committing fraud, too. I would think this would even be grounds to have your license suspended. It doesn't matter what your SP tells you to do. I feel like this is common sense. How long have you been doing this?

I agree with Ventana. Sign your name to your work. If your supervising MD onjects, then let HER take it up with administration.

Some EMR's will let you sign your name, but can then forward document to MD for his/her review. You can offer to do this.

In certain situations "incidental billing" to MD is permitted, but you still need to sign your own name.

If MD owns the practice and wants you to commit fraud you may need to resign (and possibly claim forced termination.)

Archived