To how many jobs did you apply?

I will be graduating in December and have started sending out some applications. I am curious to know how many applications other near-new or new grads have been sending out and what kind of response rate they've been getting. I would also be really interested to hear how many interviews people went on before finding the right fit for their first job. Just trying to get a sense of what is normal when looking for a first job. Thanks!

I graduate in December also and I'm still looking.  Really can't say how many applications I've sent as a lot of those include hitting a button on a website that says "Apply."  As far as actually sending a "real" application, probably around 10 with around 50% response.  I've been given the opportunity to do 7 in person interviews after a phone interview and only accepted 3.  Still have not found the right job, but about to start getting ready for what I hope is my last interview today!!!

Looking for an orthopedic job

I think it was 3, but it might have been 4.  I got an offer from 2 of the jobs, took one of them and then a few months later got another offer (so offers from 3 of the 4 places I applied).  The offers just took longer to come in than I expected - the job I hold now is the second job I had after graduating and I've been at it almost 5 years.  I applied for it in May (they were not at that time looking for providers).  I got a call from them in December of that year.  But it is the best place I have ever had the opportunity of working and was worth the wait.

I think it was 3, but it might have been 4.  I got an offer from 2 of the jobs, took one of them and then a few months later got another offer (so offers from 3 of the 4 places I applied).  The offers just took longer to come in than I expected - the job I hold now is the second job I had after graduating and I've been at it almost 5 years.  I applied for it in May (they were not at that time looking for providers).  I got a call from them in December of that year.  But it is the best place I have ever had the opportunity of working and was worth the wait.

Sounds pretty perfect. What is it that makes your current job so good?

I graduate in December also and I'm still looking.  Really can't say how many applications I've sent as a lot of those include hitting a button on a website that says "Apply."  As far as actually sending a "real" application, probably around 10 with around 50% response.  I've been given the opportunity to do 7 in person interviews after a phone interview and only accepted 3.  Still have not found the right job, but about to start getting ready for what I hope is my last interview today!!!

Looking for an orthopedic job

Thanks for the reply. I'm a little skeptical of the "Apply" buttons as I haven't gotten much of a response from a lot of them. Trying to switch it up and do more digging to find hiring managers to whom I can apply directly.

Sounds pretty perfect. What is it that makes your current job so good?

I started in urgent care and learned a ton.  Managed a lot of people with an average of 4500 patient visits/year.  The group was supportive from the get-go; staff works with us to help us square away licenses and paperwork and we have a great billing department.  I needed to deal with student loans and while they didn't help with that they did get me into a primary care position which qualified for student loan repayment.  My collaborative docs are fantastic - one is prior Air Force so worked with a lot of PAs and knows what we can do.  Another is just a great IM doc who is really helpful and supportive in the transition from urgent care to IM.  Decent pay structure.  Decent benefits - not great, but you know what they say: you can pick two of these 3 things - location, specialty, and pay.  I went for location and specialty. 

fwiw, i'm starting in a subspecialty of a specialty I never thought I'd do - i focused on finding out the ins/outs of each job offer along with feeling out how I meshed with the staff, and that's how I landed on finally saying yes to an offer. I turned down more money or 'better' hours. And kinda of became a pain to my close PA school friends who heard about every twist and turn my interview process took.

fwiw, i'm starting in a subspecialty of a specialty I never thought I'd do - i focused on finding out the ins/outs of each job offer along with feeling out how I meshed with the staff, and that's how I landed on finally saying yes to an offer. I turned down more money or 'better' hours. And kinda of became a pain to my close PA school friends who heard about every twist and turn my interview process took.

Interesting. How did you end up settling on the position you accepted? Was there a major factor or just the overall impression?

Interesting. How did you end up settling on the position you accepted? Was there a major factor or just the overall impression?

Faculty insisted the team/people for whom you work, and their willingness to teach/orient you as a new grad, would ultimately dictate job satisfaction, etc., and at some point early in interview process I realized this I think as much because there were a lot of red flags with the first 2-3 job offers even though they were specialties i was really interested in, and so i decided i wanted back into the hospital system where I worked as a CNA for the benefits/location and opened up possibility of applying for PA jobs I otherwise wasn't eyeing.

I applied to only 2, and was offered both. I took the first one before I even heard back from the second. In retrospect, I would have applied to more jobs, waited to hear back from as many as I could, and weighed every offer against the others. I would definitely have tried to use the other offers as leverage for better pay/schedule/hours/etc.

• 1 month later...

I graduated 30 years ago.  Back then, we didn't apply.  Jobs came to us.   We were sought out months before graduation.  My first job was set up far in advance.  I was then recruited away to my current job 29 years ago.  I have never applied for a job as a PA.

Archived