Sideline Medical Coverage

Know how to remove a football helmet/facemask and pads rapidly without endangering cervical spine alignment.  A golden rule - if the pads stay, the helmet stays and vice versa.  If there is an athletic trainer on the sideline (and there should be), defer to their lead.  Know lightning rules (if a lightning strike is within 5 miles, you have to shut down the event until 30 minutes after the last lightning strike).  

Sideline medicine is part emergency medicine, part orthopedics, part neurology, part physical therapy, and a whole lot of make-do-with-what-you've-got. 

Good luck.

Due to budgetary concerns, some teams may be skimping on helmet reconditioning and recertification (best performed yearly).  Older helmets, up to 10 years of age, are often found among high school teams, and this makes me cringe.  The newer helmets generally have offer better protection.  Researchers at Virginia Tech developed a 5 star rating system for helmets that you may find interesting:

http://www.beam.vt.edu/helmet/helmets_football.php

Also on the website are links to publications though some recent ones are not listed.  

Ill fitting helmets remain a hazard and may be seen flying off heads during a practice or game.  

Flag football will probably become the norm in the not to distant future, for youth and high school anyway. 

I hate to always be the nagging Mom, but you need to make sure your SP is Ok with you doing this.

You don't get to be liable alone.

Yes, I disagree with our current set up and desire independence. I think we should be able to do stuff like this without the lawyer repercussions.

I did sports physicals for my kids' school and checked out any iffy or bad ones to the team doc. However, I got back to work in corporate hell the next week and my SP was all bent out of shape because she didn't know I was doing them and reminded me of how "responsible" she is for me, blah blah blah blah......

So, make sure you are in the clear with your SP. Some have issues with liability, malpractice, office issues like reimbursement, etc. Some want to get paid or have their office recognized for "their" contribution, etc. 

I have stitched kids up before in the locker room with sterile technique and good equipment and I don't think it is a big deal but some SPs do.

Just mentioning the big purple gorilla in the room......

I hate to always be the nagging Mom, but you need to make sure your SP is Ok with you doing this.

You don't get to be liable alone.

Yes, I disagree with our current set up and desire independence. I think we should be able to do stuff like this without the lawyer repercussions.

I did sports physicals for my kids' school and checked out any iffy or bad ones to the team doc. However, I got back to work in corporate hell the next week and my SP was all bent out of shape because she didn't know I was doing them and reminded me of how "responsible" she is for me, blah blah blah blah......

So, make sure you are in the clear with your SP. Some have issues with liability, malpractice, office issues like reimbursement, etc. Some want to get paid or have their office recognized for "their" contribution, etc.

I have stitched kids up before in the locker room with sterile technique and good equipment and I don't think it is a big deal but some SPs do.

Just mentioning the big purple gorilla in the room......

Agreed totally. All squared away on this aspect.

Archived