Should I?

I'm finishing up my pre-reqs and have an interview on Jan 21. I didn't do well on my Chem II course unfortunately. I have a decent GPA otherwise and I am taking Organic Chem instead of taking Chem II again. Do I tell the ADCOM at the interview about my failed Chem II or not even make them aware of it since I'm taking Organic in its place? Chem II was listed on my CASPA as a course that was upcoming.

If you got an interview, they've seen your application. Why do you want to waste your interview talking about your application?

If they ask you, of course you can talk about it. But, the fact that they're interviewing you means that they don't really care about that one class. Remember, they like your overall picture. We all have a few scratches on our Apps, no need to let everyone know when they're trying to get to know you.

Think of it this way: If you were a PA, and you did poorly in Pathophys. Would you tell all of your patients "Hi, I just want to say, I did poorly in Pathophys, but I'm still a certified PA!"

If you got an interview, they've seen your application. Why do you want to waste your interview talking about your application?If they ask you, of course you can talk about it. But, the fact that they're interviewing you means that they don't really care about that one class. Remember, they like your overall picture. We all have a few scratches on our Apps, no need to let everyone know when they're trying to get to know you.Think of it this way: If you were a PA, and you did poorly in Pathophys. Would you tell all of your patients "Hi, I just want to say, I did poorly in Pathophys, but I'm still a certified PA!"
Agree with enthusiasm

• Administrator

I'm mostly with taotaox1 here. Failed a basic science prerequisite? And think that taking Organic is somehow going to improve things? You need to know what happened and why, and make sure that doesn't happen to you in PA school, where there is about zero time for catchup due to the far more intense pace of material presentation. The ethical advice is not improper, but consider this: if you get in, take the seat, and bomb out, you will have done yourself, the school, and the public no good at all: You would cost yourself money, deprive the school of your revenue for all the terms after you failed out, and deprive the public of a competent practitioner. That, in my mind, is the lose-lose of concealing a material fact that may (assuming you mean "failed" as in "F") indicate you're not yet ready for PA school. I'm very big on experience, but science understanding is (justifiably) a huge component of PA school. Feel free to post updates and clarifications...

Archived