Concern regarding shadowing PA or Physician

My general advice... if you want to be a doctor, shadow a doctor. If you want to be a PA, shadow a PA. Although I think shadowing is stupid, I won't go into that now.

When people say they're having difficulty finding a PA to shadow, it often means they haven't asked. Don't take offense: have you asked at your local hospital? Have you asked your own primary care physician if he/she knows or has worked with a PA? Have you asked your mother's PCP if he/she knows or has worked with a PA? Have you asked the nurse practitioner who gave your dad his flu shot at CVS if she's known or worked with a PA? All of these places/people could give you a lead.

When I realized I would have to put some nominal hours into shadowing so that I could say that I had shadowed a PA, I asked one of the physical therapists on the wound care team if she knew anyone who would tolerate my presence for a couple days. I got 4 offers. So add the PT who's helping your friend rehab that knee injury to your list of resources.

Archived