New grad emerg job

Run away!!! Solo coverage as a new grad? I am relatively new and love the fact I can bounce pts off of other providers. You can be the best PA student in the world and will be overwhelmed fresh out of the gait with solo coverage. I don't want to rain on your parade but being frank will save you A LOT of headache. By the way besides the fact that this is solos coverage salary is terrible and way low. I don't see any benefit in you taking this job...

ER PAs can break 100,000 pretty easily here in the States, with CME/benefits on top of that pay.

Solo coverage...what is the expected patient census? My local ED sees maybe 2-4 patients on a night shift, maybe 12 patients in 24 hours. When you say rural..how rural? Closest larger tertiary care center is how far away? What are the transport options? Air only? Ground and Air? No transport if the weather sucks? How's your ICU? Will you be boarding ICU patients in the ER or can you turf your sickies with little hassle?

As a new grad, you are still malleable and eager to learn. It's a perfect set up for a strong mentor to really drive home those critical points learned in school and to be taught some very strong real world medicine. I think it's a valuable time to have a solid mentor.

However....you're in Canada...you will be on the leading edge of the PA profession up there...you may have to blaze your own trail...I'd look at the bigger picture of how you can self preserve your education, your career, your quality of life, and sanity.

Good luck

Run away!!! Solo coverage as a new grad? I am relatively new and love the fact I can bounce pts off of other providers. You can be the best PA student in the world and will be overwhelmed fresh out of the gait with solo coverage. I don't want to rain on your parade but being frank will save you A LOT of headache. By the way besides the fact that this is solos coverage salary is terrible and way low. I don't see any benefit in you taking this job...

My thoughts exactly but remember this is in Ontario, Canada where PAs are pretty new. And I have spoken with my upperclassmates who are now working PAs and most of them making about 75-85. a few are making 90. They think it's actually decent.

My thoughts exactly but remember this is in Ontario, Canada where PAs are pretty new. And I have spoken with my upperclassmates who are now working PAs and most of them making about 75-85. a few are making 90. They think it's actually decent.

solo coverage as a new grad is just a bad idea. my group requires 5 yrs of experience before working solo and several of my partners still feel nervous working solo shifts even with 5 yrs experience under their belts. in the last month on my solo shifts I have delivered a baby, managed a pt with acute anaphylaxis who almost required a crich, stabilized several cva's and mi's, managed several significant traumas, including elderly folks, etc

you need a reasonable foundation of experience + acls, atls, pals, and a difficult airway class to work alone.

just dont' do it. seriously. you will kill people.

solo coverage as a new grad is just a bad idea. my group requires 5 yrs of experience before working solo and several of my partners still feel nervous working solo shifts even with 5 yrs experience under their belts. in the last month on my solo shifts I have delivered a baby, managed a pt with acute anaphylaxis who almost required a crich, stabilized several cva's and mi's, managed several significant traumas, including elderly folks, etc

you need a reasonable foundation of experience + acls, atls, pals, and a difficult airway class to work alone.

Hi EMEDPA (I enjoy your posts!),

I agree with you that it's not a good idea. What can I say, that seems to be what they want.

Honestly what "they" want and what is good for you and the pt's is different in this scenario. I am not familiar or up to date on the canadian job market so this is a true question. Is it that hard to find ER jobs that you would be hard pressed if you passed this offer up? Just curious.

Honestly what "they" want and what is good for you and the pt's is different in this scenario. I am not familiar or up to date on the canadian job market so this is a true question. Is it that hard to find ER jobs that you would be hard pressed if you passed this offer up? Just curious.

No, not at all. I don't graduate school for 8 months and have already had a few job offers. Just wanted to see what you all thought of this scenario.

What if they have had a residency? Especially say, einstein where they say they prepare you to work solo.

Archived