specialization

Hi all.

I'm wondering how many people started their journey without knowing exactly what area of practice they want to be in?

I am currently a mental health counselor and was turned on to being a PA because of the idea of doing Psychiatry... but I am fascinated by other areas of medicine as well (particularly the emergency/urgent care variety)

I was thinking I might do an EMT basic class to get some more knowledge under my belt as well.

Thoughts on the idea of starting the process without knowing for sure what area you want to practice in?

I have absolutely no idea what area I'd like to practice in yet and I'm applying this cycle. I think that's completely normal, and I think many people who go in wanting one specialty end up finding out they like something totally different once they start their rotations. Plus, one of the perks of being a PA is that you don't have to stay in one specialty forever! 

I wouldn't worry about specialities. I myself have changed what I want to do at least 3 times. I am now back to Family Medicine. But I recommend going in with an open mind. The truth is you really don't have an idea what the perfect speciality is for you until you've been exposed to the specialities during your education. 

I started in a specialty and felt dumb on basic medicine rather quickly.

So, over the years I have built a repertoire of sorts of skills having worked through several specialties - occupational medicine, ortho, ER and then when I got to family practice - I had a toolbox of various exposures and skills that made me valuable in an FP setting. Throw in speaking Spanish and I was sought after.

So, build your toolbox and make your skills desired and worthy of good compensation.

The coolest thing about being a PA is being able to move amongst specialties and learn tons of cool stuff.

Have fun!

Many of us had an idea of some areas of interest, but it was during rotations that the idea of what to do next came to us.

One of my classmates knew she was going to do a residency in pediatric urology (I don't recall why) and that's what she did. As a paramedic, I figured emergency medicine, family medicine, or internal medicine. I ended up interested in cardiology, did an optional rotation in it, and that is what I still do today.

You don't need all the answers on day 1; just that this is the path you want to take. As you move down the path, other options will become clearer.

Good luck!

I went into PA school with a strong background in behavioral medicine, and was sure I wanted to specialize in psych as a PA.  Then I discovered how much mental health is a part of every specialty I have rotated in.  People are anxious about their health, or have anxieties which manifest as somatic complaints.  Primary care providers prescribe antidepressants, and ADHD medications.  Emergency med PAs might manage acute psychiatric emergencies.  I've found it to be a huge part of almost every rotation, and am applying to many types of positions in the months before I graduate.

• 1 year later...

Archived