Thoughts on using this person for an LOR?

During my many years as a dental hygienist I formed some lasting relationships with a few amazing dental assistants. I always admired their work and professionalism and we worked great together for the good of the patients and the practice. This isn't always the case since often in dentistry you experience animosity between assistants and hygienists.

In the hierarchy of dental practice assistants and hygienists are generally considered equal. But, hygienists have a more specific skill set that requires more training as well as state licensure to practice. In most states assistants can legally practice with no formal education and be taught on the job (even though most dentists look for assistants that have been trained in an educational/technical setting--as most are these days).

On the other hand, hygienists require a degree and state and national board scores to apply for licensure in the state they wish to practice. They also require continuing education and licensure renewal on a regular basis. Last, but not least, they are big producers for the practice.

In your experience or opinion does any of this matter to committee members? Would an assistant be a good reference? I think the assistants I worked with can more accurately attest to my work ethic than the dentists I have worked for in the past.

Thanks for reading!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

There are several philosophies regarding LORs. In my case, I picked the chief of my EMS unit, a professor who knew my academic performance well, and a colleague who worked with me for decades who could speak about my work ethic.

As a member of an AdCom, the best LOR I ever read was from an applicant's college soccer coach.

My advice: Get the best LORs you can get, from wherever you need to go to get them.

Archived