Is it foolish to consider taking OChem after only taking Chem I?

The school I'm most interested in attending only requires one semester of Chem in addition to OChem. However, the school I'm attending for prerequisites requires the full sequence of Gen Chem prior to OChem.

If I found an accredited school that would let me take OChem after just Chem I, would it make it especially difficult? I'm just at the point of trying to save time and money on prerequisites since I'm not getting any younger. ????

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you're not trying to get your undergrad degree, go take Ochem.  inorganic and organic are night and day so save yourself the money and time and just take Ochem.  Know that it is a different ball game - typically much more difficult - but I don't think chem 2 would magically make it easier.

I'm not advocating taking a shortcut, but if you do just make sure you're getting molecular orbital theory and at least some acid/base from general chemistry. I really can't remember if I got that in first or second semester, but organic would have been a struggle without it.

Of course, the first chapter of your organic book will be a general chemistry review, so you could just learn what you need on the fly. For me, the first semester of organic was definitely easier than the second ..if that's all you need, you might get away with a little cramming.

Thank so much for the replies! I do have my undergrad degree already. So, I'm just looking at about 4 courses left for my first choice school. I'll start trying to find a place to get OChem without Gen Chem 2 first.

Guiriguiri - concurrent chemistries sounds like torture. Lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I took a year of organic chem and the labs as my first prerequisite; I had had a year of inorganic in engineering school 32 years earlier. I had to repeat a quarter of inorganic as my last prerequisite since in was so out of date.

If I had to do it over, I probably would have done the quarter of inorganic and then organic, but it worked out in the end anyway,

Good luck!

Archived