asking for first raise...tips and negotiation tactics please

Good morning everyone.
I have a scheduled meeting with my supervisor this coming Friday where I will be asking for my first raise.
Some background: I am a Physician Assistant in a hospital based orthopedic hospitalist group. I work for a large medical staffing company (not an independent contractor). I entered my fifth year with my company this past March. I have not received a raise, but have made bonus the last two years, which were the two years bonuses were available. My coworker is retiring this week and I will be taking the senior PA position in the group. I have been quite productive in my time with the company, and I feel that this, as well as becoming the senior PA should merit a raise.

For the meeting, I plan on bringing information such as revenue generated, consults performed, cases in which I first assisted, etc over the last three years.
I wanted to ask about negotiation tips from Bogleheads and how a negotiation should go. I have a number in mind, and if a raise is unable to be provided, I plan on asking for quarterly instead of annual bonuses, as well as some improvements to my benefits package.
Our first meeting is in person, but I doubt an answer would be provided at that time. How much small talk should I make, if any, before cutting to the chase? Should negotiations then take place via e-mail or should the occur over the phone after our first meeting?

Thanks

Mike

I don't really understand how you haven't received any raise for five years.  That just seems ridiculous...  I am still in school, but isn't it normal to basically request a raise on an annual basis if you are producing well?  Unless maybe your initial salary was much higher than average...

I don't really understand how you haven't received any raise for five years.  That just seems ridiculous...  I am still in school, but isn't it normal to basically request a raise on an annual basis if you are producing well?  Unless maybe your initial salary was much higher than average...

I worked at a hospital system as an ancillary services provider (OT) in Michigan for the past 3 years. For 5 years prior to me working at this hospital, no one received a raise across the board (nursing, ancillary). Our annual reviews were nothing more than a formality, even when we got raises. Either everyone got a raise, or no one did. It just depends on how the healthcare system itself is doing financially.

So, to respond to the responses, the lack of raise may be due to a higher than normal starting salary, yes.

I broke down all my numbers, volunteering, being present at hospital meetings, etc. He seemed to be quite responsive to what I was saying. I asked for a 10% raise. That's pretty high, but I did it with the hopes something in the middle could be met. If I asked for something too low, I'm selling myself short and can't go up from there. Part of me expects to get a response "We cannot do anything at this time" but we shall see.

He told me to expect to hear back from him at the end of this week, so when I hear back, I'll update you.

Corporate medicine has ceilings and metrics that they measure. Salaries will stop going up at a certain point - period.

The largest corp monster in our area has some complicated math formula that factors the specialty, your years of experience and the national market. You get plugged in and you get a figure - a really weird pay scale, down to pennies. They make a range for that department and that position and - once you reach the top of the scale - no where to go.

I am at the top of every scale with years of experience. It won't get any better. There is no negotiation. They have silly bonuses based on meaningless words based on "corporate values" that amount to a few thousand a year, tops.

In a private surgical practice, you can negotiate for reimbursement shares and hope to be put on the same scale as the docs - "eat what you kill".

The cost of living will continue to rise but our salaries generally will not. Student loan debt will rise and new grads will want higher and higher salaries while those of us who have been out a long time are reaching the end of the scale with no where to go. I don't like it - I haven't done this for so long to hear that there is nowhere to go.

I don't have a great answer. I still think our healthcare system is so messed up that implosion is the only answer. Rebuild.

As long as private insurance company CEOs make 7 figures and bonuses while denying care to premium payers and healthcare reimbursement is so messed up - things aren't going to improve.

I agree. Only a few things can alter that formula:

- An increase in national market price. This will largely be driven by new grad desire for highe salary, unfilled low paying positions, and a strong national campaign as to what APPs can do. That will increase awareness and desirability, which can influence price.

- A change to reimbursement at the legislative level. Let PAs bill at 100% reimbursement for primary care/ family practice. Also let bill in a specialty with a CAQ (which may justify their existence).

- A legislative reduction in oversight/ increase in scope. This increases the value of the provider, helping to justify an increase in pay. Personally, I think this should scale based on years of experience in a specialty.

Archived