Balancing a heavy load

Obviously schools want to see that an applicant can balance a heavy workload since PA school itself is such a big time commitment and they don't want to waste their time accepting someone who will not be able to handle the stress or manage their time appropriately. Traditionally I think proving that you can handle a large workload comes in the form of showing that you can balance school with other activities like work or volunteering, etc. But are there other ways to demonstrate this? Would taking an extra large class load and succeeding but not necessarily working, etc at the same time prove anything? What about working full time and taking a class? Or working full time and volunteering for what would be the equivalent of another part time job?

The typical student had to go to school, do their prerequisites, get meaningful healthcare experience, often earn a living and save for PA school, shadow, etc.

My advice: do what you have to do. If volunteering is a love for you, then do it. But don't be risking your future by adding activities that don't mean much to you and only add risk.

I only took 15 credits any given semester in undergrad and was either on a sports team OR worked about 20 hrs per week - though I didn't even list that job on my app (or the sport) so programs had no idea that I could handle a 'heavy' workload. 

Yes, you need to be able to handle an intense workload in PA school, but programs mostly just want to see that you can handle that level of learning - take upper level courses (and pre-reqs) and ace them and anything you do on top of that is icing.  I'm not sure 'able to handle heavy workload' is something programs actually evaluate - they want to see the grades, the HCE, the shadowing, etc but if it's all done consecutively vs concurrently probably doesn't matter.

It really depends on where you are and what schools you are wanting to go to. Some states want certain types of students. I know that the PA schools in my state put preference on the students who are willing to work in rural/underserved areas in that state. The best way to answer your question is to go to the schools that you are interested in and contact admissions and ask them. I don't really know much about your age of what year you are but

If you are really dedicated into going to PA school then I would suggest taking a heavy load of higher level science classes and makings As in them.I'm talking like 18 hours, full time. I know it sounds tough but if you can do it if you are really committed. That's what I did. I looked up the programs that I was nterested in and looked at there didatic schedule and during my junior/ senior year I took classes that were related to those concepts. I took biochem, pharmacology, many physiology and anatomy classes. I just kept taking science classes, and I told the school during my interview what I did and how I thought that would be the best way to prepare myself.

Also, shadow. I shadowed a lot. I shadowed in clinics with PAs and clinics without (so I shadowed MD). I knew the role of the PA so well..and they are so helpful to doctors. When I volunteered in a clinic without a PA, i specifically told the doctor that if he hired a PA then he would have more time with his serious patients, and that the PA could do more of the simple stuff.. like taking exams, procedures, and diagnosing/prescribing and when they asked me what there role was during my interview, I didnt give them some recited definition, I gave them my own meaning of what a PA was.

I know I am just rambling, but I really can't help you much because I dont know what schools you are wanting to go too. It really depends on what schools you are wanting to go to and what kind of students they want because it varies with each school, but you can easily figure it out by reading over their website, going to advising sessions, and talking to their advisors. 

Also, another thing that is really important. Schools are going to get many applications that have the same GPA, HCE, and volunteer experiences. The way that you can make YOURSELF standout is through your personal statement and LORS. Like I said, research the schools you want to go too, know what kind of students they want and write your personal statement according to the that. I'm probably repeating myself a lot.. but this is what I've done and trust me it helps. If you have anymore questions feel free to pm me

edit: typos, grammar

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All!

Okay so, i'm a PA hopeful.. I have my BA is sociology and I didn't take any hard sciences in college. I will be going to school to become a CMA, then going back to school and getting prereqs for PA school out of the way. I know that it looks better on your PA application to have upper level science courses. Does anyone have any advice on how I should approach satisfying science prereqs, knowing that I have no science background? Thank you all in advance!

Archived