I have 2 major questions!

1. I was planning on applying to 10-12 schools but I have about 8 and I don't want to apply randomly from my list of schools that I already crossed off, but I feel like the more schools I apply to, the better the chance I'll get in somewhere. Should I just add schools to my list to feel safe or naw?

2. Do re-applicants disclose in their personal statements how they've improved since the last time they applied, or is that something to talk directly to the schools about whether its on supplemental applications or in the interview?

I originally had 20 programs on my list have narrowed it down to 7. Yes, increasing the number of schools also increases your chances....to an extent. 

If they're -re-applying to the same programs, I think it would be best to include the improvements in the essay.

I'm just nervous. I don't want to play it safe, but I also don't want to apply to schools I know I'm not interested in whether it be due to location, financial concerns, etc.

I only have 2 school on my list that I'm reapplying to and I was just so late in the cycle last time that I don't think my file was actually looked at, and if it was, I was missing a ton of requirements (i.e., PA shadowing forms, GRE scores, and the supplemental). But one of these schools is my top choice, so I'm scared.

• Administrator

1. Never apply to a school that you know you wouldn't go to if they accepted you.  You're just wasting everyone's time and your money.  No, adding more schools isn't really that helpful, UNLESS those final few schools are as good a match (your profile vs. their ideal student) as your first few are.  4-6 well targeted schools is plenty, and I would never go above 8.

2. They'll figure it out.  Just make sure you DO NOT reuse your personal statement from last time.  If you haven't changed enough to rewrite your PS, what's the point of applying again?

If you wouldn't even considering attending, why bother applying?  What happens if you add 4 schools from your crossed out list and those are the only ones you get in to?  Will you go?  If yes, then apply.  If it's still a no, then like Rev said, don't waste your time or money or that of the program.

Archived