letter of recommendation advice?

I know these kinds of questions have probably been asked many times, but I couldn't quite find the answers I was looking for.

I've been working as an RT for about 3 years now...so out of RT school for 3 years and got my first B.S. in 2004. I work nights in a busy hospital where it's mostly MDs on call, so I interact with and see many MDs, but it's hit or miss whether I see them multiple times. So, because of that, it's difficult to have a close working relationship with any of them. My work managers and supervisors are a difficult one only because I don't work days and that is when they are in house---then everything is hearsay and not what they actually observe. And that can be good or bad...something I've observed from yearly evals. As far as academic LORs, well, I haven't been in school in 3 years, would it be beneficial to still get a reference from my RT profs?

Thanks for any help you can give.

(*edit* I tend to work in one ICU unit mostly and could possibly ask one of the RNs I work more closely with. Would that be a good option? Or also any of my RT coworkers (vs management)?)

I have professors that I havent taken courses with in a while thats till remember me, a shift supervisor can still be a good LOR, and if you see an MD on the shift enough and at least engage in casual conversation you will find that at least one is willing to help. I also provide all my references with highlights of my life/academic career for them to include in a reference---honors, awards, experience, goals, skills, and other things that set me apart (single mom, full time employee, full time student, first generation, and so on).

Most MDs PAs and so on have been in your spot and are willing to help

Whatever else you do, get a PA LOR. Do what you have to in order to get one, but get a PA endorsement.

Yes................and no. Ideally you know a PA well that you can ask but, I didn't have a PA write one for me. Why? because I didn't know any well enough to feel comfortable asking them. Instead I choose people that knew me well and have actually worked with me/taught me. Don't try the "I shadowed this person for 20 hrs so I'll ask them" trick. It could end very badly. I've seen it happen. Literally. I've watched a PA write a less than stellar letter for someone who had only shadowed them for a short amount of time.

When ever I've asked someone to write a letter for me I say, "I'm applying for ____. I need a LOR. Do you feel comfortable writing a good LOR for me?"

BTW despite the fact that I didn't have a PA wright a LOR for me, I'm graduating from PA school in less than three months..

Yes................and no. Ideally you know a PA well that you can ask but, I didn't have a PA write one for me. Why? because I didn't know any well enough to feel comfortable asking them. Instead I choose people that knew me well and have actually worked with me/taught me. Don't try the "I shadowed this person for 20 hrs so I'll ask them" trick. It could end very badly. I've seen it happen. Literally. I've watched a PA write a less than stellar letter for someone who had only shadowed them for a short amount of time.

When ever I've asked someone to write a letter for me I say, "I'm applying for ____. I need a LOR. Do you feel comfortable writing a good LOR for me?"

BTW despite the fact that I didn't have a PA wright a LOR for me, I'm graduating from PA school in less than three months..

Did your program rqeuire that one comes from a PA or did they give you options of simply choosing a healthcare provider or did they even specify?

I can't remember what they required for LORs, but no, none of the programs I applied to required a letter from a PA. I do remember that there was only one program that I wanted to apply to that I couldn't because I did not have a PA LOR. I had two science teachers and my manager in the OR write my LORs.

I do think it's important to get PA to give you one if you know one well enough. But I wouldn't ask a PA that you don't know well just for the sake of getting one from a PA. I would ask people you KNOW can and will give you a good LOR. JMHO.

my hospital is much more NP happy...not to mention I work nights and I pretty much only see nurses and docs around (plus fellow RTs of course)...so don't really "know" any PA's super closely or anything. Good thoughts being thrown around though, so thanks. It gives me things to think about.

• 1 year later...

Archived