Scope of practice at level 1 trauma center

I have an interview coming up with a level one trauma center in Florida, I have worked at smaller community hospitals and enjoy a decent scope of practice and do get do perform invasive procedures under the supervision of my attending docs.

What should I really expect as far as my scope of practice in the trauma center which has an ER residency?

I look forward to working and mentoring the residents and learning alongside them, but I'm worried about being stuck in fast track or triage all day everyday.

Honestly- I wouldn't be surprised to see either extreme- all the "sick"/critical patients may very well be left for just the residents, as well as any advanced procedures....OR you may find an area or two of the ER that isn't fast track that is run by staff docs/PA's where you could do anything.  

Is it a trauma job or ED job?

I did rotation at level 1 trauma.  Many, many, many procedures.  In the trauma bay the trauma surgeon and trauma PA did procedures interchangeably.  The PAs would sometimes follow pt up into the OR with the trauma surgeon, but this was most often left to trauma residents.  Meanwhile, on the ICU/Floor a lot of the procedures were done by the PAs (bolts, art lines, etc).  

The PAs rounded on the ICU/floor patients before the docs and did the charting, then the doc would follow, review, and sign.  Then a daily review of all patients in a conference room.  

Boats nailed it above. I used to work per diem at a level 1. the trauma and ICU PAs did lots. the EM PAs did 90% fast track and only got a critical pt if the docs were busy. at my interview they promised lots of procedures and sick pts, but the reality was 90% fast track...

It's an EM job, I'm going to have to speak with the current staff PA's and see what their role is at this time.

I'm ok with not having the very sick ones all to myself, I just like to be involved in the care team. Hopefully it will be a nice medium of letting the residents get their practice and allowing the seasoned PAs to be independent.

Archived