What is up everyone!

So I am in need of some life and school advice. Ill start off with a little background of myself, I am about to turn 29 and finally made up my mind about my career choice. Instead of continuing my career as a RN from LVN, I decided (after much research on NP vs. PA) I want to be PA. Currently I am at my local community college with about 48 units of GE’s and about to start my first science class (Intro to Chem) next Fall.  However I am tied up in debt from student loan, auto/motor vehicle loan, consumer credit cards which have been dragging me down for the last several years because of bad money management. It has been very stressful mentally and physically working full-time living paycheck-to-paycheck and going to school. I’m sure there are others in the same boat. Also trying to cash flow my college tuitions and books so I don’t have to take out another student loan. Trying to be wise with my finances from this point on.

So here’s my dilemma, I would like to go to APU (Azusa Pacific University) for my bachelors of science in Allied Health. My original plan was to go to a Cal State college which would be a lot cheaper and I would be able to cash flow that tuition as well working full-time as a LVN. But because I would like to finish faster and get a degree that would entirely benefit my career path as a PA; I would love to go to APU. APU provides, IMO better education and opportunities for pre-pa students. As oppose to going to Cal State for an exercise science degree that would possible take an extra year to finish and less help in preparing me for PA school. So question is should I take the shorter path and transfer to APU with a degree in Allied Health (60-70 units two years) and take out $30,000+/- per year of student loan or go to a Cal State with a cheaper tuition (120 units three years) $10,000 per year? What would be a better option? I’m worried about student loan debt because my life with debt as of right now is very stressful. Just trying to not make the same mistakes.

My other question is should I take the next year off Summer 2016 through Summer 2017 and get two full-time jobs and become completely debt free then swing back into the rhythm of school full-time and less work? I would loose a year of school but be debt free is complete happiness! I would be able to focus much better with school. But also loose the chance to start my PA career sooner. I would probably be pushing late 30’s. I currently have a 3.6 GPA for my GE’s and worried it’ll be tougher once I start my sciences. I am not the average book smart type person.

I really don’t have much family/friend support on this. I just recently reached out to one of the PA’s who works at my nursing facility for advice. I will talk with him on Tuesday. I also have an appointment with my school counselor tomorrow to discuss my academic plan to transfer to my undergrad institution.  So I’m hoping one of you guys here can shine some light and share some wisdom!

Thanks!

Have you looked into scholarships at all? That's another option.

Imo, I would take time off work full time and reduce your debt burden some. Of you are worried about finances while in school it will really make it hard to focus on your studies, no matter the program you're in. Once you're in PA school they advise that you not work at all because of the rigor of the program.

Its never to late to start a career you are passionate about. Age is really just a number.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

What is up everyone!

So I am in need of some life and school advice. Ill start off with a little background of myself, I am about to turn 29 and finally made up my mind about my career choice. Instead of continuing my career as a RN from LVN, I decided (after much research on NP vs. PA) I want to be PA. Currently I am at my local community college with about 48 units of GE’s and about to start my first science class (Intro to Chem) next Fall. However I am tied up in debt from student loan, auto/motor vehicle loan, consumer credit cards which have been dragging me down for the last several years because of bad money management. It has been very stressful mentally and physically working full-time living paycheck-to-paycheck and going to school. I’m sure there are others in the same boat. Also trying to cash flow my college tuitions and books so I don’t have to take out another student loan. Trying to be wise with my finances from this point on.

So here’s my dilemma, I would like to go to APU (Azusa Pacific University) for my bachelors of science in Allied Health. My original plan was to go to a Cal State college which would be a lot cheaper and I would be able to cash flow that tuition as well working full-time as a LVN. But because I would like to finish faster and get a degree that would entirely benefit my career path as a PA; I would love to go to APU. APU provides, IMO better education and opportunities for pre-pa students. As oppose to going to Cal State for an exercise science degree that would possible take an extra year to finish and less help in preparing me for PA school. So question is should I take the shorter path and transfer to APU with a degree in Allied Health (60-70 units two years) and take out $30,000+/- per year of student loan or go to a Cal State with a cheaper tuition (120 units three years) $10,000 per year? What would be a better option? I’m worried about student loan debt because my life with debt as of right now is very stressful. Just trying to not make the same mistakes.

My other question is should I take the next year off Summer 2016 through Summer 2017 and get two full-time jobs and become completely debt free then swing back into the rhythm of school full-time and less work? I would loose a year of school but be debt free is complete happiness! I would be able to focus much better with school. But also loose the chance to start my PA career sooner. I would probably be pushing late 30’s. I currently have a 3.6 GPA for my GE’s and worried it’ll be tougher once I start my sciences. I am not the average book smart type person.

I really don’t have much family/friend support on this. I just recently reached out to one of the PA’s who works at my nursing facility for advice. I will talk with him on Tuesday. I also have an appointment with my school counselor tomorrow to discuss my academic plan to transfer to my undergrad institution. So I’m hoping one of you guys here can shine some light and share some wisdom!

Thanks!

From my experience I would recommend going with APU. I know the money/debt will be a lot more but I think it will even out and be more beneficial in the long run. I decided to go the more financially practical route and attended a Cal State rather than a UC or private school for the sole purpose of limiting my debt. The school I attended had a pre-pa route so I thought I was set. Cal states are so jam packed, getting the classes I needed was never a guarantee and I spent full semesters with just filler classes so that my aid would stay available. My "four year plan" turned into a 5 and 1/2 year plan. But it didn't end there, I decided to graduate (because I was eligible to for like a whole year) even though there were still some courses that I needed in order to apply to PA school but we're not requirements for my degree. I was tired of wasting time and money just to not get into the classes of my choice. So after I graduated I had to go spend almost an extra 10 grand on a private school as a post bac in order to get the rest of my pre PA courses. Let me tell you, the stress, anxiety, and frustration I experienced those years sucked! But I also understand debt sucks too. I think it's all on what works best for you personally.

My mentor PA once told me if you have to fork out some extra cash/loans to get to your career sooner, do it. The quicker you start making real money the less money you are losing in the long run.

Hope this helps a bit, good luck!

Archived