Post-Grad Decisions

Hi everyone!

I am waiting for CASPA to open next week to begin my applications for the next cycle and am trying to explore my options. I know I am not the most competitive applicant, so I am trying to figure out what to do during the "waiting period" after submitting my applications so I can become a stronger applicant if I don't get accepted this round.

I did my undergrad in Nutrition and Exercise and graduated with a 2.97 gpa (I know, so close!). Most of my pre-reqs are B's with a few A's and C's. I retook anatomy and physiology and still ended up with a B (it was a condensed online course and I was working full-time night shifts so balancing sleep and life was tough, but I know that's no excuse!) I am estimating my science gpa to be around a 2.8-2.9.

My experience includes working full time as an ER tech-3 months and going, a FT clinical technician-6 months (similar to CNA) on the rehab unit, volunteering 12hr/wk as an EMT for a rescue squad-8 months, working as an EMT for a Boy Scout summer camp-3 months , and approximately 20 hours so far of PA shadowing in the ER and the OR. I also have extensive leadership and volunteer experience with a non-profit organization that focuses on elementary and middle school education in Honduras. I also taught group fitness classes at my school.

Initially I was thinking about going back to school to complete the rest of the courses required to become a registered dietitian (RD), but it would take me about 1 1/2 years with an additional year of a dietetic internship (if I get in). I would work as an RD for a few years before reapplying to PA school. 

After second guessing myself, I am thinking perhaps I should retake some of the pre-reqs for a year and try applying next cycle if I don't get in. I think my initial plan was to hopefully be working full time with a decent salary and retaking classes for PA on my own time/money as well as feeling better prepared for PA school.

Ultimately PA is what I want to do, but I wouldn't mind working as an RD for a few years and having that knowledge when I am practicing as a PA. After working in a hospital for a year, I am certain that I want to become a PA-not a doctor, nurse, paramedic, etc.

What do you think my chances would be? Do you think it's worth pursuing a career as an RD before a PA or would it be wise to go for PA school straight away.

I also have been wanting to do a month long yoga teacher training in Barcelona and would love to do that within the next year, however my parents are strongly against it (understandable). Should I just do it anyways or put it off?

Sorry for the long post and convoluted questions, I've just been thinking about this for the past few months and still feel lost!

Thanks in advance :)

Honestly its an uphill battle for anyone facing a low GPA (I am facing it myself). I'm assuming being an RD would be an application booster, but do you really want the debt from both the RD program and a PA program? I would really think about that. If you decide against being a RD I think it would be smart to retake some classes or even take upper level science courses to show that you are capable of tackling complex information.

As for the yoga class, do it!! If it is something you're seriously passionate about, and it's not something you want to just brag about or post all over social media then you can't let anyone prevent you from doing that. 

I don't want to discourage you, but it will be an uphill battle with a GPA below a 3.0. Having said that, you can still become a PA, but it may take a couple of years. If you really want to become a PA, take classes in which you have made Cs especially upper level science classes and pre-requisites. Bring that GPA at least to a 3.25-3.3 and continue working full time as a ER tech (get around 3000 hours) and then apply broadly. It will be tough, but doable.

If you ultimately want to do PA, it doesn't make sense to get another degree as a stepping stone because it will cost a lot of money and you don't want that debt plus the PA school debt. However, taking classes to boost your GPA will also cost money (may be not as much as getting another degree), but I think that will be more beneficial because you are letting schools know that you are capable of handling the PA school curriculum and improving your weak areas and it will give you a solid foundation as well.

If you are really passionate about yoga training, then go for it. I don't see any problem with that.

Right now you don't have a decent GPA or HCE.  You can generally be lower on one or the other and still possibly get accepted to a school, but not both.  You need to figure out how many credits you need to improve your both your GPAs above a 3.0 (ideally 3.2), so you application will even be looked at.  As it stands, I don't think getting into PA school "right away" is a viable option.  Have you done your research on the schools you plan on applying to this cycle, to see if even meet their minimum criteria?  

For the future, would completing your RD be significantly more expensive than taking the additional classes you need to improve your GPA?  What is your plan for HCE if you decide not to go the RD route?  

Thanks for all the responses! They were all very helpful!

I'm applying to schools that don't state a minimum GPA requirement (3.0 "recommended") or their requirement is 2.75/2.8+. Honestly I would have to get an A in about 6 credits to raise my gpa to a 3.0. I think raising it to a 3.1 is achievable but maybe not a 3.2/3.3+ unless I decided to extensive additional coursework.

For my current HCE, I am working full time as an ER tech (starting IVs, drawing blood, splinting, etc.) and would likely continue that. I am also considering trying to find a position as a scribe and maybe do part time in both. In total, I would estimate my all of HCE to be around 2000 hrs so far.

I think you guys are right that RD may not be the right move, especially looking at things financially and the fact that PA is my number 1 goal--I might as well focus on that. RD would be more expensive (26 credits and 1 year of internship expenses).

What are your opinions about doing a post-bacc program vs. retaking courses + a few more upper level science classes?

I'm applying to schools that don't state a minimum GPA requirement (3.0 "recommended") or their requirement is 2.75/2.8+. Honestly I would have to get an A in about 6 credits to raise my gpa to a 3.0. I think raising it to a 3.1 is achievable but maybe not a 3.2/3.3+ unless I decided to extensive additional coursework.

My personal experience is that even when they appear to indicate they will consider a GPA <3.0 ... they don't.  At least one of the schools I applied to a couple of years ago, on that same premise, explicitly told me that (after I followed up on a rejection due to no meeting their requirements).  

You need to understand that programs get many many applicants for each seat in their cohorts; not just 10:1 but in some cases as many as 25-30:1.  For their initial screening to decide who they are going to consider, even for an interview, they are just going to administratively eliminate every single one that doesn't meet every single one of their requirements (those applications don't even go to the AdComm).  Then they are going to decide if they are going to do any other culling to get to a manageable number for full review.  Guess what is likely to be used?  cGPA, sGPA, HCE hours - any seemingly "objective" measure to get the pool down to the ones that they are going to review (read essays, read LORs, look at experience, look at grade trends, etc.).  Some schools will look at everyone that at least meets the minimums, but not all do.  

You can become a PA with a 3.0 GPA ... (go searching for the kajillion threads on this subject that already exist) ... BUT you'd better have something else pretty spectacular and/or a strong showing in other facets to show what great PA you'll be ... AND that you can handle the rigors of the programs.  It will also likely not be a fast journey - sometimes there are not shortcuts.  

You find more detailed posts from me about my path to PA, but to get my GPA up to a level for consideration I took >60 hours of post-bacc courses (at a community college, not in a specific post-bacc program - I have a BBA and an MS already). 

Archived