Competitive GRE Score?

Hey, I was wondering about the GRE, specifically what constitutes a "competitive" score. I took the GRE last Thursday and just received my scores...159V(83%) 154Q(56%) [313 total] 4.5W (80%).

I'm not sure how these scores stack up. In addition, assuming these are competitive, how much weight does a good GRE score have? Will it surpass lackluster early GPA woes? Or is it viewed more like a bar you have to meet the minimum and beyond that is meaningless? 

PA schools evaluate applications pretty holistically. With that being said, the GRE is a smaller component of your application to show you have basic skills and meet the threshold to get your application reviewed. Most schools post their expectations, so as long as you exceed them, you're in the clear! Nice job on the verbal, by the way. I hated that section. 

Every school is different in how they view GRE scores. If I remember correctly most schools want above a 300. Some have a requirement on the writing, such as above a 3.5. I was told that a 310 or above looks better. Honestly though, if you think about it, the GRE is just another hoop to jump through and really doesn't mean that much in the scheme of things. The fact that you are taking the prerequisites and earning a bachelor degree proves that you are somewhat competent. Don't worry too much about those early bad grades. Kick ass down the stretch and do well in the prerequisite courses. Shadow PA's. Volunteer. Get your foot in the door with a job that is medically related. This will show that you are serious about entering a program and is much more meaningful than a GRE score.

I get the impression the GRE is a box to check and a way to filter the thousands of applicants initially.  After that, it doesn't matter much.  I doubt it will balance out a poor GPA since one standardized test is not the same as handling multiple classes at a time and succeeding.

Archived