Derm/Mohs Surgery offer -- New Graduate

I worked in Derm/Mohs for ~2yrs prior to PA school as an MA/SurgTech/HistoTech. 

Recently received an "Offer Letter" that I am requested to sign & return -- not a "contract"

I'm assuming these are different from each other? The contract follows the offer letter? 

The Offer Letter is extremely vague/bare. It simply states:

"Hello Soulfari, we are pleased to offer you a Surgical Physician Assistant Position. As we discussed, your start date will be determined based on the date of your graduation. Your rate of compensation including CME will be $90,000 annual salary. You will be eligible to participate in the following benefits: Health, Dental, and Vision after meeting the applicable eligibility requirements. Additionally you will be entitled to two weeks of paid vacation. All of these benefits will take place after the 90 day probationary period.

Please sign & date below to acknowledge the acceptance of this position." 

I have never signed contracts before nor had to negotiate for salary. To me this reads as: NO MALPRACTICE INCLUDED, I have to pay for my own CME out of pocket, Bennies are nice but not detailed, no details of schedule, work load, duties, responsibilities, etc...

I would like to ask for 110k/year (CME included) and I was going to ask for Malpractice coverage. 

How much would it cost to pay for malpractice myself? Is this a deal-breaker for doing surgical dermatology? I feel like there is plenty of litigation to go around in derm/cosmetics and I would feel vulnerable having to cover myself for that. 

If I ask for a higher salary do I need to provide a reason for it? Or can I just bluntly state my desires in a return email? 

Thank you, 

I received an offer letter (email) for positions before - similar vague verbiage (note: not for PA, but for hospital employee position).  I used it as my starting point to negotiate and asked for detailed info about bennies.  The employer was able to link me to their benny site that allowed me to see a LOT about what's covered, what 401k vesting schedule/employer contribution was, etc.

I would use this to open the door to more info/negotiation.

It sounds like a letter of intent instead of an actual contract(which should come later), but this is definitely the time to negotiate.  There is no reason you should have to pay for your own malpractice.  Providing that is just standard -- it's not even part of a compensation package.

Archived