Rules for answering MCQ's for EOR and Pance exam

Could you pls share your views as to what rules you have adopted when answering questions on the exam? Sometimes it can get quite confusing as to what answer to actually pick.

Any pearls of wisdom passed on from teachers, particular sources (if you have a link...would be great).  

How do you choose between answering choices when they say:

What is the most likely diagnosis?  (when multiple disease process are going on in a question)

What is the next most appropriate step?  (Do you choose treatment (definitive or preliminary) or next step leading to a diagnosis)

What is next most appropriate step in management?  (Do you choose preliminary or definitive management)

If you could share your tips with some examples (different clinical scenarios) would be very appreciative. 

Many thanks.

The answer is ALWAYS stop smoking.

The "first step" questions are the dumbest thing of all time.

You aren't alone out in the woods with a toothpick and a straw. If your MI patient is in the ER and needs MONA - What do you do first? No answer. The patient is already on oxygen 99% chance. They probably got ASA in transit or the nurse has already administered it. You have to order Morphine or it is a standing chest pain order. Nitro has already been given 99%.

So, the answer - you are screwed. There is no right answer. They need to phrase the question - "you are alone in a well equipped but abandoned island hut - a local walks in with chest pain and you have four things on the wall to pick from  - MONA - what would YOU, being alone, pick first?" And, I honestly do not know what to pick and I have been doing this 25 years. Which choice will have the biggest impact on the patients survival? Aspirin to thin the blood, Oxygen to fulfill blood needs from a potentially broken pump, Nitro to vasodilate,  Morphine to decrease pain and preload????

Sorry to be cynical, but this is one of the biggest problems I have with PANCE/PANRE. The questions are stupid and nebulous and do not reflect what happens in real life.

There are an overwhelming and disappointing number of questions about STOP SMOKING. My answer - DUH.

If our patients actually did lifestyle changes, the questions would disappear and we could focus on other stuff.

So, I have no answers for you. I am sorry. The test is hugely flawed.

• Administrator

1) Read the entire question.  Pay attention to what they're asking for.

2) Read each answer.  If you're allowed, underline any modifier words: not, always, never, etc.

3) Eliminate any obviously wrong answers.

4) Among the 2-3 answers remaining, select carefully the best answer.

5) Do not change your answer.

6) If you feel like changing your answer, see #5.

Archived