Can Low GPA Be Salvaged?

I recently graduated this past December from UC Berkeley with a 2.927 GPA overall, and 2.44 for just my science courses (I majored in Integrative Biology)

I don't plan to apply to PA school anytime soon, seeing that I lack HCE and want to take a break from the academic environment and work for a while. I'm planning to become a certified medical assistant and work as that to accumulate hours.

There are also some classes I didn't take while at UC Berkeley (such as biochem and genetics), and I was wondering if I take classes at community college, will that be taken into positive consideration by the time I'm ready to apply? If I get A's, will they be factored into my undergraduate GPA and boost my GPA?

Short answer: yes

Medium answer: Retake any class you got less than a B- in. It won't replace the old grade but CASPA averages the two. A C and A- averaged together is way better than a C.

Long answer: It may take a few years for you to have success. Once you retake classes you may need to consider a masters degree. If I was in your position I would find a local PA program that I planned to apply to, make an in-person appointment with the admissions director, and ask about a plan. Get to know this person. Send them holiday greeting cards. Get on their radar while simultaneously cranking out As and getting HCE.

Also, I strongly urge you to go EMT instead of medical assistant.

Everything MedicinePower said.

Curious. Why EMT instead of MA?

MA doesn't teach you much medicine and you don't really get to do much without a doc or PA there. EMT, however, is out in the field and providing medical interventions to sick and injured people. You learn a lot of medicine and practice medicine under a state certification and protocols of a medical director. As well there's a more natural progression of going from an EMT (or AEMT or paramedic) to PA, while MA/CNA is more geared for nursing.

Thank you everyone for answering!

@MedicinePower, from what I've heard, EMT has a lot of waiting periods, and is best suited for those who want to work in emergency medicine and surgery. On the other hand, MA is best for family medicine, pediatrics, obgyn, and internal medicine, which are much more closer to what I want to work in. I'd be curious to hear further thoughts on this comparison.

I'm definitely going to reach out to a local PA program. :)

MA doesn't teach you much medicine...

I would actually say being a MA has taught me a lot in regards to medicine and patient care. I do however agree that EMTs are the sole PCPs out in the field. Paramedics get to have all the fun, no fair haha!!!!!

In the end, it's all about how the individual utilizes each experience and whether or not it fulfills their personal goals. For me personally, MA > EMT-B. Then again, I'm interested in FM/IM/UC.

If you had 60 credits of science courses...

60x2.44=146.4 quality points

and you take two 3 credit courses per semester (and get As), then you would have 170.4 quality points / 66 credits, your sGPA would jump to 2.58. The math says it will be very difficult, and time consuming, to raise that GPA just by taking classes. If you get a masters, the AdCom may see that as a plus since you took on more difficult course work, some schools weigh heavily the most recent 60 hours.

If you do end up taking random science courses, make sure you're covering the "recommended" course lists at the schools you intend to apply.

Good luck in your journey, definitely start racking up HCE, and consider a prep course so you can crush the GRE if you're applying to schools that value test scores.

Something also to consider is that EMT/paramedic courses are science GPA courses that usually carry a good load of credits beyond the normal 3 or 4 hours and can do a lot towards helping boost your science GPA.

Medical Assistant, meanwhile, is considered non-science by CASPA and PA programs. That's not to say it isn't a good experience, but if you're aiming to prove you can handle the science load, MA isn't going to be particularly helpful.

Medical Assistant, meanwhile, is considered non-science by CASPA and PA programs. That's not to say it isn't a good experience, but if you're aiming to prove you can handle the science load, MA isn't going to be particularly helpful.

Wouldn't that depend on what the Medical Assistant does, and if they're certified or not? And if their role consists of duties such as taking X-rays, drawing blood, taking vitals, administering medications and injections, aiding PA/physician in procedures, etc?

I think he meant from an academic point of view. Accredited MA programs are considered non-science whereas accredited EMT programs are considered science based. So if you want to kill two birds with one stone, do EMT and ace the class to boost your GPA.

The scope of practice is a different story. MAs do way more procedure wise compared to basics.

As previously stated, the short answer is yes. My GPA is 3.15 and I have been accepted to physician assistant school.

I will also suggest that you consider working as a medical scribe. While "hands-on" experience is valuable, you will be paid for your training as a medical scribe without having to take additional classes. Furthermore, there are few entry-level positions in healthcare that will provide you with the insight into a clinician's medical decision making process than a scribe. It is because of this job -- certainly not my GPA -- that I was accepted to PA school. 

Good luck!

I think she meant from an academic point of view. Accredited MA programs are considered non-science whereas accredited EMT programs are considered science based. So if you want to kill two birds with one stone, do EMT and ace the class to boost your GPA.

The scope of practice is a different story. MAs do way more procedure wise compared to basics.

Yes, I meant academically - if you are trying for a GPA boost, any courses taken in medical assisting are not considered to be science courses in your GPA, while EMT/Paramedic courses are (and carry a sizable credit load, usually). The fact that the PA association has chosen to have CASPA categorize med assisting as non-science I think also speaks somewhat to how the position is viewed in general by ad coms, though certainly it does vary in practice.

Archived