School Rank

Rankings are quite artificial. Schools with good rotation choices and a strategy to help you succeed -- rather than fail you out -- are my top two factors. No school will spoon-feed you, but some are better than others in connecting you with help if and when you need it.

^^^ This is nicely stated. While the rankings are somewhat of a popularity contest, and are mostly irrelevant post graduation, what I've been learning (unfortunately the hard way) is that they do appear to have a great deal of relevance to the quality of education and support you receive as a student. Choose wisely if you have options!

^^^ This is nicely stated. While the rankings are somewhat of a popularity contest, and are mostly irrelevant post graduation, what I've been learning (unfortunately the hard way) is that they do appear to have a great deal of relevance to the quality of education and support you receive as a student. Choose wisely if you have options!

So I assume the higher the rank, the more support you receive?

Rank does not correlate with support. They are often independent variables.

When you interview at schools, spend time talking with the existing students during the day or during tours. Ask what they like and what they don't. My favorites"

- "They treat us like children."

-"They are always changing the schedule but, on the other hand, when the class is having trouble learning a concept, they adjust to try a different teaching approach."

You can guess which one I picked.

You can learn quite a bit just by asking the right questions. 

Rank does not correlate with support. They are often independent variables.

When you interview at schools, spend time talking with the existing students during the day or during tours. Ask what they like and what they don't. My favorites"

- "They treat us like children."

-"They are always changing the schedule but, on the other hand, when the class is having trouble learning a concept, they adjust to try a different teaching approach."

You can guess which one I picked.

You can learn quite a bit just by asking the right questions. 

This.  Current students are the key.  If a school doesn't give you a chance to talk to current students at all during an interview process, be concerned.

That doesn't help you pick which ones to apply to, though.  In that case - pick schools where you meet the requirements and are competitive with matriculating student stats, places where you are willing to relocate to (don't apply to schools in a place you won't be happy for 2-3 years), places where you may want to work after graduation, reported PANCE pass scores, etc.  If you live close enough and a school offers an information session, go.  

So I assume the higher the rank, the more support you receive?

My understanding is that the rankings are developed by the programs ranking each other (and on a limited set of somewhat vague attributes). Since I doubt there are many (if any!) who have actually attended multiple programs, it seems to make sense that the educators, who do move between programs and/or start new ones and/or collaborate in various ways, have the most insights into the educational philosophies of other programs. Likewise, they have more insight into the qualities of the administration and the educators ... and how they choose to teach, provide support, incorporate multiple teaching modes, accommodate varied learning styles, etc. I can only speak from my experience, but in a lower ranked program I am finding educators that may (or may not) be adequate clinicians ... but they are definitely lousy educators (and I can speak from experience having taught at a graduate school level!). Quality of rotations is important, but so is your didactic preparation for them.

As others have indicated, if you can get input from current or recent students, do!

Should "strong first time PANCE pass rate" be at or above the national average?

Above.  I can't speak for everyone, but I only applied to schools where PANCE scores were 95% or higher.  One local school I looked at had rates of about 80% and based on the program, I understood why.  The whole point of PA school is to pass the PANCE to become certified.  If a school isn't preparing it's students to pass PANCE, it's not a great program.

One program I looked at had mostly great scores and one really bad year in their 5 years reported history - but they addressed it head on during interviews and it wasn't a reflection on the program so much as the students from that year.  They know what happened and didn't hide it and more recent years had been greatly improved.  What I'm trying to say is, scores are important but if it seems like something is up, ask the school to explain.  If they have consistent 80% pass rates, no amount of explaining can recover from that.

Archived