2.66 Sci GPA-- Am I toast?

I'm a junior with 3 more semesters to go, including 36 more hours of science classes. If I get at least a 3.5 average for the next 36 hours, I can pull up my sci gpa to 3.05. The question is, I've been seeing people in this thread (PA Applicant Stats Page) posting about how they got accepted to PA school with 3.0-3.1 sci gpa's, is that realistic or is that very unlikely to happen? Should I attempt to pull up my grades or should I just give up because I really don't have a chance in the first place?

My overall GPA is a 3.03, but obviously science is my biggest concern.

Previous science classes grades:

• Chem I: A
  • Chem II: C
  • Bio I: B-
  • Bio II: B
  • O-Chem I: F
  • O-Chem I Retake: B
  • O-Chem II: C
  • Physics I: A
  • Biochem: C
  • Micro: B
  • Micro Lab (3 hours): A-

You have a tough road ahead of you, but I won't say all hope is lost.

Your GPA may be low but what does the rest of your application look like? Give just as much attention to those components as you do your GPA. Look into programs that focus more on the last 45 to 60 semester hours and the GPA earned from them (Pacific University comes to mind).

I suggest making the attempt in improve your GPA as much as you can. Be smart about the schools you apply to, have at least one thousand hours of HCE in a direct patient care field, get good letters of recommendation and compose a great personal statement.

Good luck to you!

Consider retaking those classes that you made less than a B in and you need to make all As from here on out or as close to it as humanly possible. I'm one of those people that was accepted with a 3.1 sGPA and 3.2 cGPA but the footnote to that was that my last 60 hours were 3.8, with almost all of it being sciences or other pre-reqs. The moral of the story is that you must demonstrate to the ADCOM that you hit some bumps in the road but have done a 180 and now have what it takes to perform academically. You can not afford any bad grades from now on. You must hit that magical 3.0 mark to keep your app from the instant discard pile at most schools. Start working on getting some HCE; the more, the better.

• Administrator

To reinforce: No, you're not toast. You'll just not be entering a program straight out of undergraduate, which is just fine. Lots of very good PAs needed to take a lot of classes, on top of their stellar clinical careers, to get into school. It's going to be hard work no matter what... but that's OK. Practicing medicine is a tough job to do well, and the consequences of doing it badly can be quite dire.

Check out this website:

http://www.back2college.com/gpa.htm

See if you add like 24 hours of science classes say averaging a 3.5. It'll see what it'll boost ya up to. You still have a year of AP, biochem, a semester of genetics, molecular cell biology, you can add tons of neuro classes (which are typically but not always easier).. I'd retake anything you got less than a B in. True, may add a year (and summer semester) but you might be able to boost it up to a 3.5 still. If you can do that man you will be set.

Archived