Help with Elective Rotation

Without going on any rotations yet, I was asked to pick a 6 week elective rotation in the areas of orthopedics, urology, neuro surgery, cardiology, cardiovascular, and dermatology. If any has experience in these areas can they shed some light on the pros and cons? I wanted something broad like ER, but it wasn't an option so I'm left with these choices. So far I've enjoyed every topic in didactic year so I'm open to anything. 

Also, I'm about to start "history taking" rotations in the ICU and Respiratory. What is expected from a 1st year student during these initial rotations? This is considered the 1st year rotation from my program of which I have two. We will move into 2nd year rotations after the summer. Thanks for any responses.

Wow, I can't believe they're making you choose your (only?) elective this early!   Do you have any inclination of what you want to do once you're done with school?   Are there second years you can ask, to see if any of the choices are known to be really good experiences, with the provider you'll be working with?  

My thoughts were to enter EM or surgery after school. I'm awaiting replies from the 2nd year students. Thanks.

If you're looking into EM, Ortho or Derm are very good choices.

Hi Rev, can you elaborate on how these two areas would be good for EM later? Also, do you think urology would be good experience for ICU? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I am a second year student right now.  Among those, I would probably choose orthopedics because it ties well to emergency medicine or primary care.  Roughly eight hundred encounters in, back pain is the most common patient complaint on my patient logging software.  It even beats out acute upper respiratory infections by three encounters.  Shoulder pain was number five.

Archived