Advice for grad considering career change

Hi, all. I received my BS in biology a year ago and for the past year have been pursuing opportunities in research. However, for several reasons, I've decided to change directions and become a PA. I've looked into professions that I feel I would enjoy and would allow me to obtain health care experience, too, and from the few I've researched I feel that medical assisting would be the best fit.

My issue is whether it is worth it or not to spend a year completing an MA program. I know that many MA's are not certified and did not complete programs to obtain their positions but I feel that without any experience in this field I would probably not get hired. I guess I would just appreciate any feedback some of you might have about my current plans. I've looked into jobs like cna's and emt's that take less time to prepare for but I don't think I'd like certain parts of the work and I feel that medical assisting is something I could work in for a while if my acceptance into PA school takes a few tries. Thank for any advice.

You might also consider using your research background to move into clinical research. We've had a few people at my job (I'm a clinical research coordinator) who've moved from bench research to clinical research because they want to get HCE. At my clinic I definitely get more depth and variety of patient care experience than the MAs; the trade off is that I also have to do more paperwork.

You might also consider using your research background to move into clinical research. We've had a few people at my job (I'm a clinical research coordinator) who've moved from bench research to clinical research because they want to get HCE. At my clinic I definitely get more depth and variety of patient care experience than the MAs; the trade off is that I also have to do more paperwork.

may programs do not consider clinical research to be direct pt care.

talk to the programs you are interested in before you start.

Archived