Any book/reading recommendations on PA school, career, etc.?

Are there any good books out there that really go into detail about what PA school is like, and what the profession is like? I'm not looking for something that's going to tell me HOW to get into PA school, rather just something that is very informative and will give me some insight into PA school and the profession.

• Administrator

If you can find a copy to borrow, the third chapter of Beth Grivett's So You Want to be a Physician Assistant is worth reading. The book as a whole is overpriced and mostly redundant to online resources, but the third chapter (if my memory serves...) has a dozen or so first-hand accounts from working PA's in different specialties about what their day-to-day lives are like.

I'm kind of looking for something specifically about what I can expect to encounter in PA school and what it's like after you graduate.

What you encounter in PA school will vary from school to school. Some schools have favorite topics such as primary care in some, surgery in others, peds in yet others. The order that the information comes at you will vary as well. Some schools let you get by with 70% for passing, other schools (such as mine) require students to keep an 80% or higher. Some schools will present information via lectures and expect you to test on the material presented by the lecturer. Other schools will give you objectives that will be tested from and the lecturers may or may not touch the objectives at all. At Medex, our lecturers simply enhance what we are studying from the book...not repeat it.

I don't know of any medical field that PAs are not in. Yes, I realize there may be some, but my point is it's a WIDE open field so the person who goes into primary care won't have the same experience of the person who goes into interventional radiology who won't have the same experience as surgery, who won't have the same experience as the ER. The person who works in an urban downtown walk in clinic with a large homeless population to treat will not have the same experience as the person out in the rural setting.

So my point is, there is no cookie cutter answer. If you really need a straight answer, you may be better served getting a bead on which sort of practice you are interested in, then find PAs in that field and ask them. Same goes for the school. As l.a. lewis said...talk with PAs from the programs you like.

• 2 months later...

Archived