Eager High School Student (your fav)

I'm 17, going to UIC in fall as undecided, and a second semester high school senior trying to figure out what I'm going to major in.I'll most likely end up majoring in a science of some sort, but I'm trying to avoid the cookie cutter bio route. I've drowned myself with so much information about different majors that I really just want advice from actual PAs. I'm taking basic nurse assistant training classes at my local community college this summer, so I can begin to gain experience asap. What did you major in?

Although Grey's Anatomy has me convinced that I'm destined to be a surgical PA, I'm aiming to specialize in derm because of my past with my lovely hormonal skin (I promise it's deeper than that), and lets be honest, knowing a derm pa's pay is enough to keep you googling every aspect of the job all night. I know I haven't even graduated high school yet, but I need a mentor..

Basically I just really need assurance that I'm on the right track to becoming a PA...

Help :-(

P.s I'm obsesssed with all of you xx

First, Hi,

Well, I'm not an actual PA but I might know a thing or two about applying to PA school. I cannot tell you whether or not you're on the right track to pursue this profession because you haven't provided any real specific details apart from the CNA course. 

That said, earning HCE early on will only make this easier for you down the line. Work in health care for a bit, keep researching about the profession (the good, bad, and the ugly). 

Take courses that fulfills the pre-requisites for many professional graduate programs like; PA, MD, DO, NP, CRNA, OT, PT, DrPH...you get the idea. This is achieved by first majoring in something you like and then tailor your coursework as you go along and begin to focus on one area of medicine that interests you. 

PS. Spend some time on the forum and familiarize yourself with the different categories such as the Pre-PA sections. It's loaded with threads started by those who are Pre-PAs to those who are well seasoned and flavored in the profession. Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so excited to hear that you are interested in becoming a PA! I am not a PA either, but I will be starting PA school in May so I know a little about the process from high school to undergrad and finally applying.

First off, I have been a CNA for a year now and it has definitely been one of the best experiences to solidify that becoming a PA is definitely what I want to do for the rest of my life. If you can, try to get a job as a CNA in a hospital because you will get to see MANY professions at work their including PA's. This will give you a broader experience so you can see all options available to you. As a CNA one thing I have learned is that I DO NOT want to be a nurse. I respect their profession but it is not something I would ever see myself doing for the rest of my life. 

Second, I agree with trying to take as many pre-reqs for all options as you can. The good thing about PA school is you don't necessarily have to major in a science in undergrad, you can major in anything you want but just as long as you fulfill the pre-reqs. So keep your options open! 

Lastly, SHADOW A PA. If you think being a derm PA is what you want to do. Shadow one. Aside from being a CNA, my experiences shadowing PA's have only solidified my want and desire to BE ONE OF THEM. 

If you have any more questions, just ask!

Lastly, SHADOW A PA.

^THIS. Grey's Anatomy isn't the best way to decide this is what you really want to do. Before charging full-steam ahead on the pre-PA path, rack up some shadowing hours and get to know the PAs you shadow. They can give you the best help and advice if you decide this is for you, and being with them on their day-to-day will really give you an idea if you want their job or not.

Archived