Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about this:

I'm currently pursuing an undergrad degree. Actually, I'm transferring to a school to finish my degree and I'm trying to figure out what I should major in. I would like to eventually become a PA but some of the schools I'm considering don't have pre-professional programs. I'm particularly interested in Loyola University Chicago. I've read that sometimes it's even more desirable to get a degree thats not a pre-professsional one, because it shows you have interests and strengths in other disciplines that can still be used in a medical setting.

My go-to is psychology because it's something I've been interested in awhile. However, I was looking into Loyolas requirements for their forensic science degree because thats also something thats interested me longer than psychology. I feel like it seems a little random if my end goal is to apply to PA schools, but it seems like a lot of the courses I'd be taking (and have already taken) for this degree could be related to and useful when I do go through PA school. For instance: human osteology, biostats, genetics, cell physiology, chem (gen, org and inorg), physics, calc, forensic toxicology etc..

https://lucweb.luc.edu/advsmt/index.cfm#Program

My point is that some of these classes cross over into requirements for some of the PA programs I've looked into but also, I feel like this kind of degree would be more useful for myself in the event that I decided to take time off before applying to PA schools or if I (for whatever reason) decided to change my career track, I'd still have a degree that would be applicable to a profession that I'm interested in. Of course, psychology is also another safer option but forensic science would at least have more classes that would eventually help me while pursuing a PA degree.

Any thoughts on this? Is there anyone out there that has a degree in Forensic Science and can give some insight? Sorry for the lengthy post, I'd just really like to know if I'm on a good track here or if there are major holes in my plan that I'm overlooking!!

Thanks!

Archived