Online degrees from State Universities

I'm currently pursuing my degree online from Oregon State University in Environmental Science with a concentration in Applied Ecology. I'm doing it online for a number of reasons, but mainly because my husband is active military and I dont want to have to transfer schools AGAIN and I am a stay-at-home-parent. The careers I could pursue if I never get into PA school are great back ups, but I wonder if completing my degree online will hurt my chances of getting accepted into PA programs. Im starting as a junior so part of my studies were traditional. I also plan on repeating/taking my pre-reqs in person whenever my husband leaves service, specifically Chem, Organic Chem, and A&P

About the degrees:

Requires advanced math up to diff/integral calc

Requires a year of Physics

Will include Chem and genetics

Math/science classes require proctored exams

NOT self-paced

Regionally accredited 

What do you guys think?

I'm currently pursuing my degree online from Oregon State University in Environmental Science with a concentration in Applied Ecology. I'm doing it online for a number of reasons, but mainly because my husband is active military and I dont want to have to transfer schools AGAIN and I am a stay-at-home-parent. The careers I could pursue if I never get into PA school are great back ups, but I wonder if completing my degree online will hurt my chances of getting accepted into PA programs. Im starting as a junior so part of my studies were traditional. I also plan on repeating/taking my pre-reqs in person whenever my husband leaves service, specifically Chem, Organic Chem, and A&P

About the degrees:

Requires advanced math up to diff/integral calc

Requires a year of Physics

Will include Chem and genetics

Math/science classes require proctored exams

NOT self-paced

Regionally accredited 

What do you guys think?

I completed an online undergrad in Allied Health at YSU.  In addition, I completed the majority of my science pre-req classes at a local community college.  I have not had any issues at this point.  I have received interviews at every school I have applied to.

If it is an accredited school it doesn't matter that it is online.  Make sure you take the pre-reqs you need even if that means courses additional to your major and if at all possible find a way to take the science/lab courses in person.  That is where the online degree will get you.  Many PA programs require that the labs be taken in person and usually therefore the courses associated with them - so as long as you know you may have to retake those purely for to appease PA programs, the rest of your online education shouldn't be a problem.

The only issue I've heard schools have with online courses (assuming its an accredited university such as the one you attended) is lab components for pre-req courses. Many schools require the pre-req lab science courses, at the very least the lab component of them, to be taken in person. Otherwise, I don't think it much matters.

Archived