ER New Grad Offer

I am currently negotiating my contract as a new grad ER PA. I was hired to work 3 12s a week, then cover i weekend a month (48 hours) for a seperate set wage, on top of my pay for the 3 12s, or 1872 hours a year. My question is:

When looking at the AAPA salary report and negotiating hourly pay, does my "base salary" include this weekend pay?

I feel like they are trying to pay me less on the weekly shifts because he is paying me an extra "on call" weekend pay a month. Should I push for my base salary to be the national average of 90-93K PLUS the on call weekend pay?

I can give more details once I get replies. thanks!

Most ED jobs are paid hourly.  Some include a shift differential for nights, weekends, holidays, but many do not.  The best way to evaluate an offer is looking at the hourly rate, benefits, whether there's a pension or 401K contribution, amount of CME allowance, and whether there is any paid time off.  In my area, southern Ohio, paid time off is rare, a few companies have pension contribution, a few more have 401K, benefits costs vary.  Hourly rate should be at least $50.

Like others have said-- most of EM groups/hospitals pay their providers hourly. This makes it easier to calculate your salary depending I how many shifts you choose to work per month.

IF they want you on salary. I would negotiate a salary for working (x) amount of hours per pay period (36 times 2 if you are working 3-12's) and then have an hourly rate for any hours above 72 for that pay period. It's simple, but fair. How are you to be paid if you wanted to pick up extra shifts or they needed you too?

• 3 weeks later...

Most ED jobs are paid hourly.  Some include a shift differential for nights, weekends, holidays, but many do not.  The best way to evaluate an offer is looking at the hourly rate, benefits, whether there's a pension or 401K contribution, amount of CME allowance, and whether there is any paid time off.  In my area, southern Ohio, paid time off is rare, a few companies have pension contribution, a few more have 401K, benefits costs vary.  Hourly rate should be at least $50.

What would a PA's hourly wages look like who is residency trained or is CAQ (EM) considering minimum national average is roughly $50 hr

Archived