Military school that would best prepare me for PA...

<br>

Do you know anyone that has done this recently? The only person I know did it about 36 years ago...

<br><br>Mira Costa college, near Camp Pendleton, has a transition course that grants credit and prepares HM's for the state test. I know it's not exactly challenging the board, but it is a fairly quick route to gain you LVN for HM's. You could always head over to Corpsman.com, they usually have pretty good up to date information on options for current/former HM's. I believe most the stuff you would be looking for would be down the page a bit under Career Advancement (I believe). <br><a href="http://www.miracosta.edu/instruction/nursing/downloads/hospital_corpsmen.pdf"><br>http://www.miracosta.edu/instruction/nursing/downloads/hospital_corpsmen.pdf<br><br></a>

Do you know anyone that has done this recently? The only person I know did it about 36 years ago...

I actually looked into this when I was transitioning out in 2010. I was subsequently DQ'd because like they said, it requires 1 year in a hospital doing bedside work, which I do not have. Had it been 1 year in the field, treating patients at sick call McGyver style with some gum and a paperclip, then i'd have a shot :)

What I did do however, is apply through the CA Medical Assistant Board to become an MA (Because as we all know us former military are nothing in the civdiv without a piece of paper). I was hired as an MA w/o a cert, and have a year to take my board if necessary. All for about $100. There are 3 different agencies that CA allows, and I went through AMT (American Medical Technologists). Each has their own requirements on whats needed to challenge the test. All can be found on the CA website. The whole process takes about 4-6 weeks.

QUOTE=Corpsman2PA

What I did do however, is apply through the CA Medical Assistant Board to become an MA (Because as we all know us former military are nothing in the civdiv without a piece of paper). I was hired as an MA w/o a cert, and have a year to take my board if necessary. All for about $100. There are 3 different agencies that CA allows, and I went through AMT (American Medical Technologists). Each has their own requirements on whats needed to challenge the test. All can be found on the CA website. The whole process takes about 4-6 weeks.

IMHO this is the easiest way California corpsman/medics can break into the civilian workforce. The California Medical Board sets the requirements for being a medical assistant. http://www.mbc.ca.gov/allied/medical_assistants.html

MAs are not licensed, one can be hired as an MA without a certificate, MAs in California work more out patient clinics than hospital based. Its a win win for some California ADCOMs when they look at the application.

FWIW, I believe the original poster was talking about trying to add the Army's LPN school as part of a reenlistment. It's a year-long (accredited, I think) program. A classmate at IPAP went through it. I think he would say that it was much, much less rigorous than IPAP is, and not really ideal preparation (what is, really?). I don't think he regrets doing it or anything, and I would argue that the school, combined with a couple of years on the floor of an MTF, probably served him better than he realizes.

In any case, I think it's pretty cool that the Army offers an LPN class for enlisted medics, as it is at least a viable job option upon separation, even if one wants to pursue further civilian education. I remember when I was in CA looking through the paperwork to challenge the LVN exam, and that I didn't qualify due to my lack of bedside/ward experience. In the Navy, you pretty much need to get a tech job with a recognized civilian cert. if you want to make a seamless transition. Field corpsmen (and Army field medics) are pretty much SOL. If they're lucky they maybe picked up their EMT-B along the way, but we all know that doesn't pay much.

I also say an article that says Mira Costa offers HM's (not sure about medics) a year-long LVN to RN bridge. Assuming they take the additional military experience into account since the article said the traditional LVN-RN bridge was two years. Hope this helps!

Umm you can find an LVN program for a year without military experience so not really seeing the benefit here....

Hey Les,

A couple of my buddies did this after they got out. They eventually went RN but they were able to get LVN Jobs...this was in the late nineties lol. I was going to try it but the bedside care got me, I was mostly sick call and OR so I got in where I fit in after the Navy which was Medical Assistant (no school required :D )

Umm you can find an LVN program for a year without military experience so not really seeing the benefit here....

Hey Les,

A couple of my buddies did this after they got out. They eventually went RN but they were able to get LVN Jobs...this was in the late nineties lol. I was going to try it but the bedside care got me, I was mostly sick call and OR so I got in where I fit in after the Navy which was Medical Assistant (no school required :D )

Yeah, I've never really looked into LVN so I'm not sure of the standard schooling requirements. I just assumed based upon the description that the traditional course was longer than a year, and thus an improvement over other LVN programs.

Is there a way for Corpsman/Medics to work to challenge the LVN standard? I mean trauma/ critical care, at least for me, seems to be much more detail oriented and intensive than "bed side." I don't understand how they can forget the people who make the biggest difference for those who sustain care long term, not to say each doesn't play an important roll. Just a thought.

Yeah, I've never really looked into LVN so I'm not sure of the standard schooling requirements. I just assumed based upon the description that the traditional course was longer than a year, and thus an improvement over other LVN programs. Is there a way for Corpsman/Medics to work to challenge the LVN standard? I mean trauma/ critical care, at least for me, seems to be much more detail oriented and intensive than "bed side." I don't understand how they can forget the people who make the biggest difference for those who sustain care long term, not to say each doesn't play an important roll. Just a thought.

From the BVNPT Title 16. California Code of Regulations ( bvnpt@ca.gov) 2873.5. Effect of Service in Military Medical Corps. Any person who has served on active duty in the medical corps of any of the armed forces, in which no less than an aggregate of 12 months was spent in rendering bedside patient care, and who has completed the basic course of instruction in nursing required by his or her particular branch of the armed forces, and whose service in the armed forces has been under honorable conditions, or whose general discharge has been under honorable conditions, shall be granted a license upon proof that he or she possesses the necessary qualifications of this section, as set forth in his or her service records, and upon his or her passing an examination. (Amended by Stats. 1972, Ch. 109; Amended by Stats. 1994, Ch. 1275.)

2873.6. Issuance of Employment Restricted License to, and Qualifications for Appointment of, Certain Medical Technical Assistants. (a) Any person who on the effective date of this section is employed as a medical technical assistant or as a senior medical technical assistant by the Department of Corrections or the Department Authority, who served on active duty in the medical corps of any of the armed forces of the United States or who served in the United States Public Health Service, in which no less than an aggregate of 12 months was spent in rendering patient care, who completed the basic course of instruction in nursing required by the United States Public Health Service, or by his or her particular branch of the armed forces, and who was honorably discharged there from, shall be granted an employment restricted license upon proof that he or she possesses the necessary qualifications of this section as set forth in his or her service and discharge records. An employment restricted license issued pursuant to this subdivision shall authorize the holder thereof to practice vocational nursing only within a facility of the Department of Corrections or the Department of the Youth Authority and shall be valid only for the period of employment. In order to obtain a non restricted license as a vocational nurse, a medical technical assistant shall apply and take the examination as required and normally administered by the Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians.

(b) On and after the effective date of this section, no person shall be appointed as a medical technical assistant by the Department of Corrections or the Department of the Youth Authority unless the person complies with one of the following:

(1) Is a licensed vocational nurse or a registered nurse.

(2) Has served on active duty in the medical corps of any of the armed forces of the United States or who served in the United States Public Health Service, in which no less than an aggregate of 12 months was spent in rendering patient care, who completed the basic course of instruction in nursing required by the United States Public Health Service, or by his or her particular branch of the armed forces, and who has been honorably discharged there from. The Department of Corrections and the Department of the Youth Authority are authorized only to hire persons who are eligible for licensure, and as a condition of employment shall require that those persons obtain a license as a vocational nurse within six months of employment. He or she shall be supervised by a registered nurse or physician and surgeon and shall not administer medications until licensed. © Notwithstanding subdivision (a), any person who was granted a restricted vocational nurse's license pursuant to that subdivision and who was employed in the psychiatric unit of the California Medical Facility at the time of the unit's transfer from the Department of Corrections to the State Department of Mental Health on July 1, 1988, shall continue to hold his or her license. (Amended by Stats. 1988, Ch. 386; Amended by Stats. 1997, Ch. 759.) Authority, who served on active duty in the medical corps of any of the armed forces of the United States or who served in the United States Public Health Service, in which no less than an aggregate of 12 months was spent in rendering patient care, who completed the basic course of instruction in nursing required by the United States Public Health Service, or by his or her particular branch of the armed forces, and who was honorably discharged therefrom, shall be granted an employment restricted license upon proof that he or she possesses the necessary qualifications of this section as set forth in his or her service and discharge records. An employment restricted license issued pursuant to this subdivision shall authorize the holder thereof to practice vocational nursing only within a facility of the Department of Corrections or the Department of the Youth Authority and shall be valid only for the period of employment. In order to obtain a nonrestricted license as a vocational nurse, a medical technical assistant shall apply and take the examination as required and normally administered by the Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians.

Friction,

I didn't read through all the posts, but do you currently have a bachelor's degree? If not, there are a LOT of schools that have a combined BS/MS in Physician Asst Studies (5 years long instead of a normal 4 yr degree). You would need to have a bachelor's degree anyway to apply to these post-bacc schools that are 2 year schools. It's much easier to be accepted into an entry level 5 year program than it is as a post-bacc 2 yr school anyway. Just a thought. You don't need HCE to start as a freshman in one of these programs. Hell, all you need are decent SAT scores.

I was a Naval Aviator, separated in 2008. I already had a Bachelors degree (was an O-3). All the post bacc schools in my area wanted me to have a ton of HCE hours. So, instead, I transferred into a 5 yr school as an BS/MS Phys Assistant student (as a 3rd year). The education you get in these schools is actually much more inclusive than you get in the 2 yr post-bacc schools.

BTW, if you were thinking you could just get a certificate from one of the few remaining schools that award Certficate status or Associates Degrees, I wouldn't buy in. The profession is moving to all Masters degrees, so you would be required to knock that out at some point. Not to mention, there aren't many jobs for anything less than those holding bachelor's degrees. Even that is starting to become phased out with most programs moving to Masters.

Just one man's opinion. I would stay at your current rate, and apply for an entry level 5 year PA program. No need to make things more difficult for yourself.

...Not to mention, there aren't many jobs for anything less than those holding bachelor's degrees. ...

Really? Has that been your experience? Maybe it's area specific but I havent had a problem finding a job and I am a new (10 months out) AS+Cert Grad....None of the jobs I applied for and not to mention got offered ever asked for a masters. I am currently working on it now just for the hey of it though...

Navyfly- I'm pretty much at a Junior level right now in terms of college credit hours. I took a little time today to look into the BS/MS programs, however, it seems that almost all of them are on the East coast and I'm not really willing or interested in moving away from California/Arizona at the current moment. I'm not sure if you read it, but a couple people mentioned getting a BSN (RN) at least affords me the opportunity to fall back on somethings if PA school doesn't materialize right away. After thinking, I think this is a very good point. Nursing isn't my ultimate goal but it does provide some job security in the meantime, and it's something I think I would enjoy doing.

Steve- As a reservist my options for C-School are pretty limited in terms of what and when I can attend. Some of the very specialized programs (ie. CVT) are primarily reserved for active duty personal. The Navy doesn't really get much out of sending a Reservist to a school that costs them lots of money/time/training and only getting you for a few weeks a year. If it was an option, however, I would definitely be interested in doing that.

I'm about to be 27 so although I want to reach my goal of being a PA sooner than later, I have plenty of time to work on it. A BSN will cost me two years, make me a Naval Officer, and set me up nicely for PA school I believe. Even if I did 2-3 years as a nurse, I could realistically get into PA school by 35 which would be fine by me.

Really? Has that been your experience? Maybe it's area specific but I havent had a problem finding a job and I am a new (10 months out) AS+Cert Grad....None of the jobs I applied for and not to mention got offered ever asked for a masters. I am currently working on it now just for the hey of it though...

Joel it is area specific. As far as the phasing out of the AS and Cert programs, according to the most recent communication from the ARC-PA the programs will still exist but must have academic affiliations for students to obtain a MS upon graduation. All of them have that now. I say get in where you fit in. The 3+2 model is a east coast thing. To Friction you might also want to look into Touro NV and MS programs that only require 90 credits.

• 1 month later...

I would say Surg Tech or X-ray tech definitely. IDC may benefit you in the long run but I have never met a reserve IDC as the requirements for maintaining competencies can be challenging as a "weekend warrior". Also, not to ignite an unrelated debate but an IDC is not the same as a PA, period. In a healthy active duty population with lower acuity issues they will suffice as the sole medical provider but there is a reason PAs exist in the military. Forward deployed and shipboard sick call are unique scenarios for sure but even there IDCs operate under well established guidelines. BTDT.

-Navy PA-C

Archived