Military school that would best prepare me for PA...

So my Chief has asked if I'd be interested in attending a Navy C-School for fiscal year 2012. The options are a bit more limited for reserve Corpsman, however, I was just interested in seeing what everyone thinks might be the best option in terms of helping me get into PA school in the future.

My (realistic) options are (PMT)Preventative Med Tech (basically infection and sanitation control), X-Ray tech, Surgical Tech, Psych Tech, or Pharmacy Tech.

I'm possibly interested in CT-surgery as a PA so that stood out to me initially, but I'm sure all of these could help down the line. Any idea on which might help the most?

Thanks, Joel

I have seen most of these work. Xray tech is good for learning A&P and diagnostic skills. Surg Tech will do the same thing. Obviously, Surgical Tech would be the best experience for CT. Psych Tech and Pharn Tech have their respective strengths. Looking at manpower needs the VA may be looking for PAs with those backgrounds. The PMT might not help because most PA programs would have no clue about this specialty.

I don't know what you do for work in your civilian life, but I would consider something that would give you a recognized certification on the outside so you can rack up HCE hours quicker (depending on how often you drill or not). If it were me I would be looking at Surg Tech or X-ray Tech. Maybe look at wages for both in your area. I sort of think that a little bit of a background in radiology might be more useful overall, but if you want to eventually end up in an OR it obviously couldn't hurt to have that tech background either.

HMtoPA, I just got hired on as an ED Tech with Banner Health. So I plan to spend at least all of 2012 in that position to get some solid HCE before looking into another health position.

Lesh, Psych tech is actually what my Chief wanted me to look at aside from PMT. Obviously, its a big part of being deployed (and when everyone gets back).

Yeah PMT as its name implies, is well, preventative. Checking food temps, bleaching water, proper burning of poop, etc doesn't sound in the slightest bit exciting or interesting to me, granted it must be done by someone.

Disagree strongly. It's a year-long school (or close to it) and will not result in direct PT care. Plus, if the OP doesn't think it ssounds interesting at this point, he's unlikely to enjoy the work. PMT is great if you are looking at going EHO, but not so much for PA.

Are you eligible for IDC school?

Disagree strongly. It's a year-long school (or close to it) and will not result in direct PT care. Plus, if the OP doesn't think it sounds interesting at this point, he's unlikely to enjoy the work. PMT is great if you are looking at going EHO, but not so much for PA.

Are you eligible for IDC school?

Agree. All the PMT did was go around and check water and catch rats while the rest of us were working up pt's. I would stick with the 2 that were stated above--- X-Ray (Which I hear has a long wait-list) and SurgTech. The Psych tech position wouldn't hurt as as LesH stated above since that is where the demand is currently.

Are you an FMF Corpsman? I would suggest that going green would prepare you well. Full SOAPs, med dispensing, sutures, emed, fractures, plus you become the units psych tech, pharm tech, surg tech, etc. I'm sure it'll be hard to find something on the reserve side, but if possible I would check that out (if you haven't already).

I can't go IDC because I'm not E-5, and I'm not even sure they allow reservists to take that course? Doubt the Navy gets much out of it by sending you to a year long school and then having you one weekend a month. Especially since all we do at our NOSC on drill weekends is stuff that can be performed by a quad zero Corpsman.

Yes, I am 8404. However, I spent literally half a day with 4th Med. Battalion (Green Side) before finding out I had been assigned to a SeeBee unit. I suppose its still somewhat similar since 8404 is required to be with the Bees.

I've also been looking into the HM to BSN program, so I'm wondering if it is even worth the time or trouble to go to C-School. I would have to stop working in the ER, stop taking higher level classes, and move to Texas for AT LEAST 6 months. If I can get into a BSN program and get into HM to BSN it just seems like a waste of time to do anything else.

I just left the Army as a medic, if I would have been able to add the LPN/LVN school to my enlistment I would have been the most ready for PA school. The other best route was x-ray tech, instead of medic altogether. I am an EMT-b after I leaving the army, I couldn't even draw blood at the hospital where I worked as a emergency trauma medic, after leaving. If I wouldn't gotten into PA school because I had a chemistry and biology degree acquired while in the army, I'd be screwed or re-enlisted. X-ray techs leave the armed forces as a certified X-ray/CT operator, CT if you play your cards right. You'll be an anatomy/osteology/diagnostic expert, leaving you free time to study your pharmacology and physiology. Volunteer for night shifts and study whatever you feel weak in on your down time. Preventative medicine, pharm tech, and surgical tech will not help you as much as radiology. The preventative medicine name is misleading, it not what you think, it's not microbiology or immunological pathology. Surgical tech know the names and functions of all the instruments, but they autoclave tools and are very limited to what they are exposed to. Pharmacy tech will leave you strong in pharmacology names but mechanism of action and physiology will not be there. X-ray tech is the way to go, I know what I'm talking about and I'm not an x-ray tech, I was an active duty army medic.

How many hours of HCE do you currently have? Realistically...PA school is a different monster in itself. If you want to be a PA..think about whats going to get you in a PA school..not a civilian job as a tech. Also i would tend to think your obligation to the military would be extended...forget the C school.

I just left the Army as a medic, if I would have been able to add the LPN/LVN school to my enlistment I would have been the most ready for PA school.

What is the process for a medic to do this? Where can I find the information?

The other best route was x-ray tech, instead of medic altogether. I am an EMT-b after I leaving the army, I couldn't even draw blood at the hospital where I worked as a emergency trauma medic, after leaving.

Hospitals are tough to work because of those kinds of restrictions. Credentialing, limited scope of practice, underutilization of workforce. In California you could be able to practice as a medical assistant in a Rural Health Clinic or Federally Qualified Health Clinic. You would do more than draw blood. You could use your skills.

X-ray techs leave the armed forces as a certified X-ray/CT operator, CT if you play your cards right. You'll be an anatomy/osteology/diagnostic expert, leaving you free time to study your pharmacology and physiology.

Solid advice! The more certifications you can get the better. It sets you up for a smoother transition to a civilian job, it adds greatly to you admissions profile.

Volunteer for night shifts and study whatever you feel weak in on your down time. Preventative medicine, pharm tech, and surgical tech will not help you as much as radiology.

I agree with this. But to be clear, Pharm tech and surgical tech HCE works for most all PA program requirements: the ones that require experience and the ones that recommend experience. You will be most likely be classified as a corpsman/medic by an ADCOM. Get what you need to transition into the workforce, at any level you can.

The preventative medicine name is misleading, it not what you think, it's not microbiology or immunological pathology. Surgical tech know the names and functions of all the instruments, but they autoclave tools and are very limited to what they are exposed to. Pharmacy tech will leave you strong in pharmacology names but mechanism of action and physiology will not be there. X-ray tech is the way to go, I know what I'm talking about and I'm not an x-ray tech, I was an active duty army medic.

Thank you for your comments.

How many hours of HCE do you currently have? Realistically...PA school is a different monster in itself. If you want to be a PA..think about whats going to get you in a PA school..not a civilian job as a tech. Also i would tend to think your obligation to the military would be extended...forget the C school.

I'm confused, are you saying healthcare experience as an ED tech ins't going to help me in becoming a PA? In Arizona my scope as a tech is decently wide, at least compared to an EMT or CNA. We can do EKGs, IVs, blood draws, Foley caths, and a few other things. IMO, its better than driving a rig and slapping O2 onto patients.

Plus, if I stay with Banner for 6 months or more I can apply to get preferential placement into the Maricopa Nursing Cohort. Banner reserves something like 30 seat in each class for its employees. It would be nice to do this since Mesa Community College now offers a Concurrent Enrollment Program (CEP), which is basically the traditional Associates RN program combined with BSN course work from either NAU or ASU. You take classes for both at the same time and then in two years (+1 additional semester) you have both you AA and BSN.

if I stay with Banner for 6 months or more I can apply to get preferential placement into the Maricopa Nursing Cohort. Banner reserves something like 30 seat in each class for its employees. It would be nice to do this since Mesa Community College now offers a Concurrent Enrollment Program (CEP), which is basically the traditional Associates RN program combined with BSN course work from either NAU or ASU. You take classes for both at the same time and then in two years (+1 additional semester) you have both you AA and BSN.

Sounds like a good plan.

PAMAC,

Banner doesn't pay for it, however, being put to the front of the line for admission is good enough for me considering some people are waiting 2 1/2 years to get into the RN program. And yes, you have to be admitted to both the Maricopa nursing cohort and either NAU/ASU to be eligible for the CEP program. The Maricopa program is actually broken up into about a dozen community colleges around the Phoenix valley area. Banner holds about 30 seats per class, through Mesa Community college, at one of their hospitals in the West valley and then at Mesa community college in the East valley. Overall it seems like a pretty good deal.

Sounds like you've done your homework.

Yes, of course. Almost to a fault at times. I should be studying for practicals/exams and not re-reading entrance stuff I've gone over a dozen times ;)

Good news is I start a new chapter in my HCE tomorrow, bad news is I work four straight 7p-7a shifts in the ED and then have both a practical/lecture exam in A&P Tuesday. This should be fun :(

Hey Joel,

Weird I was a HN who went to ST school and my name is Joel (but go by Joe) lol.... Depending on your PA program, any of those NECs would work. They didnt care so much that I was an ST so much just that I was a corpsman was sufficient IMHO. They did ask me what my functions were as a HN and I think my sick call time was more interesting for them. ST school only helped me during scrub class and suturing pig feet.

Joe(l)

They didnt care so much that I was an ST so much just that I was a corpsman was sufficient IMHO. They did ask me what my functions were as a HN and I think my sick call time was more interesting for them.

This is an important point to remember as you enter the admissions process.

Do you know anyone that has done this recently? The only person I know did it about 36 years ago...

Mira Costa college, near Camp Pendleton, has a transition course that grants credit and prepares HM's for the state test. I know it's not exactly challenging the board, but it is a fairly quick route to gain you LVN for HM's. You could always head over to Corpsman.com, they usually have pretty good up to date information on options for current/former HM's. I believe most the stuff you would be looking for would be down the page a bit under Career Advancement (I believe).

http://www.miracosta.edu/instruction/nursing/downloads/hospital_corpsmen.pdf

Archived