PA vs NP in various states

Forgive a PrePA question in your forum, but I wanted to get the best answer. Today I went to an open house for CVS Minute Clinics which hire both PAs and NPs. I was surprised to find out that they only hire PAs in Minnesota, Nevada & Texas. They stated that PA limitations in other states are not there for NPs.

What accounts for this difference and is it something that is being expanded, or attempted?

Any information anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

26 states have NPs that can practice independently... for better or worse. seems like they add a state every year or two.

They are advancing, but they sometimes have separate regulations for Dx/Tx scope and Rx rights. Rx ability may require a collaborative agreement while Dx/Tx does not. The Pearson Report has all this info.

Yeah, the pearson report is interesting. You are right that the meaning behind the term "independence" tends to float along a sliding scale. To say that 26 states allow NPs to be independent doesn't tell the whole story. It also doesn't seem to speak to the practicality of actually practicing independently when you have to take into account hospital privlages and regulations. Doesn't matter if you are technically independent if your hands are tied by who is willing to associate with you or if you can't be reimbursed.

just as PAs know, there's multiple levels where they can get ya....

Archived